Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what happens next

treadyttready Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi folks

some of you may have read a fuw posts iv put up so you may remember me sayimg that i hadnt heard anything from the hospital for like 6 weeks. well had my appointment finally come through today for the 20th of jan. so from first going to doctor then waiting for an xray oppintment to going to see some1 about xray and them booking me into see the consultant on the 20th of jan it will of took 15weeks 15 bloody painfull weeks. so my question is what dose a consultant do his he the 1 who decides whether you get an op or not. iv got spondy grade 3. if any 1 could sort of talk me through wot happens next would be greatfull thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Well, I have the feeling that you may be from England or somewhere other than the USA. Since I live in California, I am basically familiar with the situation here. But maybe there are some similarities, so I tell you how is it here. I first went to my PCP (primary care physician) with my symptoms (mostly debilitating sciatic pain in right thigh with numbness) who right away ordered an MRI. As soon as the results were back, she referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. At my initial appointment he had my MRI pic up un his computer screen and explained in great detail what seems to be the problem. He examined me and asked a lot of questions, and at the end told me that given the severity of my DDD at several levels, and the marked spondy, he suggested that I have decompression and multi-level fusion with instrumentation. Next I called up my PCP and told her I would like a second opinion, and want to see a neurpsurgeon. After she made the referral I went to see one a friend recommended. He basically did the same thing as the ortho guy, buy suggested an Xstop surgery. So I did a lot of research (I began using this site), went to our local medical library and read everything I could find about spinal surgery as well as collected a lot of info about the surgeons. Then I went back to my PCP, and asked what would she do in my situation. She said she would without hesitation let the ortho guy do the fusion, as he is an outstanding surgeon. That is what I did and I could not be happier with the outcome nor with the surgeon.

Did I answer your question? Don't hesitate to ask more if you still have some other concerns.

Good luck,

Kin
  • can u tell me about the first 12 weeks after surg (im in week 5)
  • My first 12 weeks of recovery was uneventful and gradual. By the time I left the hospital (after 3 days) I was off all painkillers, except for the med to control migraine headaches, as was needed. In the rehab I started to walk regularly, at first with a walker, then when I kept losing it, I decided that I maybe don't need it. Here they taught me how to shower, get dressed and look after my personal hygiene. When I went home 9 days after surgery I basically stayed up all day, sitting had to be limited to 30 minutes at first. At six weeks I was allowed to sit for 45 minutes. I walked about three times a day, because at first I could only walk more than 15 minutes, and eventually (by about 6 weeks) I tried to walk a total of an hour per day. At three month I walked up to an hour and a half each day, and was allowed to drive but I actually began driving a month or so later, because I did not think I can twist my body to merge busy traffic. At thea time sitting was still a challenge, I could sit on computer type chairs with straight back and armrests. These things improved slowly but steadily. I was pleased with my recovery, except I found it hard that my stamina did not reach my presurgery level. It is getting better, but even now, close to 8 months after surgery I still tire easier than before. Other than that, I consider myself cured.
    I am more and more free in my movements, maybe sometimes a bit too much, but I still try not to do anything stupid, although it is sometimes very hard.

Well, this is it in a nutshell, I hope it helps.

Kin