Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back,Leg Pain with Numbness in Toes

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
I was hurt in a assault and have had lower back pain and pain in my legs and numbness in my calves and toes.I did the PT for awhile and have seen a surgon who sent me to another doctor.I have had a couple of rounds of steriods and have been takeing Gabapentin for the leg pain.It has been 6 months now and I still have the pain and numbness.
I would like to know how long can I expect the numbness to last in my toes and will the back pain diminish over time.
advertisement

Comments

• an MRI yet to see if you have any discs that are herneating? I had an injury that resulted in numbness of my foot and toes and along my shin muscle. I ended up with drop foot. (the inability to move your foot upwards from the ankle when standing) I had back pain with numbness but my leg pain never really got that bad because well...it was numb. It would get a little tender however under my thigh on that side if I was sitting wrong.
    I had numbness for 15 months and back pain for almost three years before I had to fuse my back due to slipped discs in my lower back. So if you havnt had an MRI to see if thats the problem I would see if you can get one.
    I was told if the numbess didnt subside at about week six from the time of the injury it would likely not go away but then again everyone is different and there is no definate answer for either the back pain or leg with numbness. After my surgery I am now gaining feeling back and my drop foot is gone. Hope that helps some, everyone's body is different and an MRI would be the best thing to do if that hasnt already been done.
    PM me if you would like
    Erica
  • I too agree that you definately need an MRI exam if you have not had one.
  • Thanks for your help
    Yes I did have a MRI and it showed a bulging disc. and pinched nerve also signs of aging,degenerative disc,fusing of a couple disc.
    I guess the MRI showed that I had problems but the assault put me over the edge did more damage that is now causing my problems.
    I have been seeing the doctor and I wonder when they will sugest having surgery or do they save that for last,
    I don't seem to have any improvements after 6 months of the numbness and my back hurts when I do to much of anything.
    I will wait and see but I don't feel like much has changed and just wonder what the next step will be.
  • you need to maybe talk to your doctor about the next step being a nerve test. I had a lot of the same symptoms and problems you have described. The nerve test, think its an EMG, will tell them if you have any damage in the major nerves from your back to feet. Even though I had drop foot I had no nerve damage in the major nerves so the chances of me regaining sensation in my foot was really good. Nerves were just pinched.
    If you have lost enough disc material that your showing signs of fusing at the hand of mother nature Im really shocked they havnt discussed surgery even if it was just to relieve the compressed nerve to see if you can get relief that way. Hope things start to work out for you and your docs will start making decisions. Research a little, sometimes when you know what youre talking about the docs get more serious. Sad, but sometimes true.
    Erica
  • I am so nervous. I have had back pain on and off for many years. I am a runner. Recently, after running I developed this horrific pain down my buttock outer thigh and calf and the next day my great toe and shin became numb. Went to the physician and ordered muscle relaxant, antinflammatory pain medicine. After 3 days the burning pain finally let up but it still stretches in my butt when I sit and my foot is still numb. I had an MRI yesterday but don't know the results yet. I am petrified of moving in fear the pain will start up again. If anyone can let me know how long this all will last and put some of my fears aside would be wonderful.
  • Hello, I was injured at work about 2 months ago and after 1 month of being in pain and numbness and pain shooting down my left leg, the Dr. ordered an MRI. I got the results and was told I had 2 protruding discs. I have foot drop and have had several occasions of loss of bowel and bladder control. My left foot is now numb with burning sensations. My Dr. has ordered me to have a nerve conduction test and is scheduling me to see a surgeon. I am scared to death over my foot being numb and the pain in my leg. Can anyone give me some advice on what I can do
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can, getting testing and seeing a surgeon. My only suggestion is to make sure you have complete confidence in any surgeon you choose. You may not need surgery, and surgeons can prescribe conservative treatments before surgery, which is a last resort.

But again, it sounds like you're doing everything the right way. The problem with spine problems is that it takes so much time with the testing, waiting for results, waiting for appointments, etc. We've all truly learned patience, not just to be a patient.

Hang in there and let the experts find what's happening, but if you're not satisfied with the treatment you're getting, don't hesitate to get another opinion or see a different doctor. Many times we have to be our own advocates.

Take care and please keep us posted.
    Cathie
  • Brookvale15BBrookvale15 Posts: 1
    edited 05/17/2014 - 11:00 AM
    Hi everyone. I had a laminectomy for continual right foot tingling 3 years ago, another for a herniated disc 2 years ago and am now recovering from my third,, primarily for painful left leg sciatica. this pain has vanished overnight, but my numb right foot came on again shortly before my last operation. I manage it with Motrin and ice, as it only really bothers me when I walk. Recently. my GP put me on Cymbalta, as I had tried Lyrica and the other anti-convulscents w/ith no success, I am still only 5 weeks post op, but really want this tingly right foot to go. Anyone had success with Cymbalta? Does it work for numbnrss? My foot is more numb than painfull. Any bpdy got any words of advice? I am doing a by the book recovery routine, but this foot doesn't seem to be improving. Any advice / experiemces / expectation management would be hugely appreciated. Thanks . Roger
    Roger
  • MikeIn.. It's great that you have the test & appointment scheduled. The symptoms you describe can be very serious, "I have foot drop and have had several occasions of loss of bowel and bladder control." I'd be pushing for that surgeons appointment as soon as possible. With loss of bladder control & numbness its always better to be safe than sorry.

Let us know how you get on. Spine issues can be very frightening but it's best to know exactly what's causing your problems so you can get on the right treatment path. Good luck! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.