Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

yay everyone!!!! I made it through surgery

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok all, it turned out to only be a single fusion but they had to do something else (not sure what is was) because she found a fracture of one of my vertebrae,

Well surgery was 3 hours but recovery room was 7 hours! Apparently they could not control my pain, Well somewhere about midnight i guess they got me back to my room. I had to be transfused with 3 units of blood.

Then i was sooooooo doped up that they couldn;t keep me awake except ti vomit for three days. They potassium was low from vomiting, so i had to have IV potassium and oral potassium. I was in four days instead of two,

The pain now is ok. My foot drop seeks to be better, but now i have a bad sciatic pain going down my right side that was not there before surgery.

I am doing well, I have a fentanyl patch for pain, and demerol for breaskthrough pain.

I hope everyone has a great christmas!! We did here.
advertisement

Comments

• I am so happy to see you on the other side of your surgery. I hope that recover well and in your own time. Happy Christmas friend.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Hello Dina,

Very thankful that you have made it through surgery. May your recovery go well.

Dina, I'm totally in awe that you had the surgery on the 19th and today you are back on SH.

We look forward to your updates during your recovery.

Take care.

RichT
  • I'm glad you made it through allright. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • it is so good to see that you made it through surgery and are now home...sorry that you had problems but now you are on the road to recovery and you are not alone , we are there with you. Take care of yourself and have a very Merry Christmas...Miki
  • 3 hours is pretty fast. Especially for the extra procedure. Sounds like your doc must have done quite a few of these surgeries. 7 hours in recovery sucks. I spent about that, but it was because they were so full there was no beds for anyone yet. Sounds like you had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Vomiting is no good :(

Having Sciatic pain is very normal after having the pressure removed from your nerve. They almost always go haywire at some point after surgery... It's not a bad sign, it's just normal. It takes time for the nerve to heal. The fact that you feel pain instead of it being numb is actually a good thing... Less nerve damage. Foot drop is a scary thing. Good to hear that seems to be doing better for ya.

Rich~ Spinehealth is a huge part of the recovery process :) It's such a great help. I actually had my laptop in the hospital with me and wrote a long post venting about some of my frustrations with the hospital/nurses while I was lying in the hospital bed and felt sooooo much better than I had any other day I had spent there. Hearing from everyone made me feel a lot better than the Dilaudid did. Lol. SH is a wonderful place :)
  • Merry Christmas to you and hope you have a speedy recovery! <:P
  • Sorry you had to go through the pain and sickness. It is terrible, my sister was so sick after her hip surgery and I couldn't help her. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
  • everything worked out for you and that you are now in healing mode.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Glad to find you on the other side with us. Now you know the rules, follow all your instructions, rest a lot, walk a lot, and visit SH often :) Take care Dina, so nice that you were home for Christmas! >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Oh you poor thing! I cannot imagine vomiting at ALL after back surgery much less for three days. That probably kept you feeling worse than you normally would have, just all the heaving so soon after surgery.

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!
  • Dina, so glad to hear from you. I assumed you were post surgery but eager to hear how it went. The first 3 weeks after surgery have been the hardest for me. Now I'm nearly 6 weeks post op and will probably begin going in to work on a very parttime basis pretty soon. I still am tired due to anemia. Watch out for that! If you are told to take iron supplements, take them. They'll make you feel better.

Keep us updated on your recovery process. Kathy in Atlanta
  • . . . that you are home and recovering. Will be sending you good thoughts and prayers.
  • Oh my...recovery is going to be a long process isn'tr it?...lol

I am doing ok..resting alot, walking when I can. I have a problem wit constipation, takinf stuff for that.

Pain is bad but semi-controlled, I can't believe it's been a week since surgery. My mom is here from Florida and she is doing everything for me,

I feel good and Im following all the rules :)

thanks for the support.
  • I'm so glad to hear from you. I wish you the best of luck and pray for a speedy recovery for you.
  • Welcome to the dark side! :D Keep updating us. This site was invaluable to me after my first surgery, just incredible support. Remember not to overdo it!
  • Well, was doing great and then since I was constipated, I took off the scopolamine patches and WHAM!!!

PUKING MY GUTS OUT......AGAIN>>>

Can't even keep down water...call my NS and got some compazine suppositories and was told to put the scopolamine patch back on..

it's been 5 hours and im sick as hell. not even a sip..nothing, i yak it right back up,,,

ugh

• I am so sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I was just getting ready to check back with you to see how you are doing. Keep us posted. I hope you feel better soon.
  • It's so good to hear from you and I'm sorry about the complications you had to go through. I was in ICU for 3 days and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's standard procedure? My stay was a bit of a blur to me. Anyway, I am relieved to know you came out okay. The first weeks will be challenging and I hope you are kept comfortable and have plenty of help. >:D<
  • Hi Dina, so sorry to hear about all the puking. Maybe the
    ER could help you out if it doesn't stop. I too, cannot imagine puking after my back surgery, I was in the hospital 5 days, but no problems after as far as getting sick. Just the usual nurses telling me I was hitting the morphine pump a lot LOL, it just didn't give me enough relief, they went to dilauded, & demerol. Now I am on Vicoden ES & Valium, Methadone 10mg. 2xday, the Vicoden 3xday, Valium every 6 hours as needed, but haven't had to use it too much. I hope everything gets better for you, this is a great way to vent, a lot of nice people here. Talk anytime, it made me feel better, knowing that I wasn't alone in what I was feeling. We'll talk soon, Linda
advertisement