Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

weight and spine treatment

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
is there any one else out there that is "obese" and having back problems?

if you are out there, are you having problems or did you have problems recieving treatment?

please....i wanna know if i am crazy, and if there are any docs that will treat my back reguardless of my weight...

thanks,
dawn
advertisement

Comments

• I am 60lbs overweight, actually I am probably 80lbs by now. I gained over 60lbs in less than a year and as you can imagine, my back problems escalated. My ortho and primary really wanted me to lose weight and said that if I wasn't so determined to get better and lose the weight and the fact that I stopped smoking prior to this, they wouldn't even consider surgery for me. At first they would try to say the weight was cause of problems. Then I gave them my history and explained I've had back pain all my life, regardless if I was overweight or not as my weight seems to flucuate all the time. You could say I am a yo you dieter at times. Anyway, just let them know you don't plan on staying overweight and acknowledge that you are "obese" and would like to do something about it once a solution has been met with your pain. Please don't let this discourage you. I know all the stigma that is associated with being overweight and dealing with docs because of it.
  • I gained weight being off work and having so much pain I could't excercise. By the time I saw a pain management Dr. he insulted me everytime I went there. I got a new pain management Dr. I also got 2 excercise machines that are easy on the back. The recumbent bicycle and an easy strider I also gained 50 lbs in a short period of time. I think Drs react to the physical shape and by telling us to lose weight only benefits us and I'm trying to lose weight. Alot of people in my family are bigger than me and never had any discrimination. I really think though as we get older hauling all this weight gets harder so to put aside time to lose weight should be a conscious effort. Drs should not refuse treatment on you though but I think with surgery being overweight has more risks. Hope you're feeling better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • y'all are more than welcome to join the weight loss group. <:P we weigh in once a week and keep in touch throughout the week with tips, or just advice and support. =D> drop by anytime. check out"Week 50" under diet and Nutrition. we welcome any and all spineys! Jenny :)
  • am overweight. About 80 lbs. When I first saw my PM he actually told me that he thought that my weight had little bearing on my back pain but of course advised me to lose it for other health reasons. He was very understanding of the fact that it is hard to lose weight when you are in constant pain and can barely move. I put 60 lbs of my weight on over the course of 3 years while dealing with my back issue. It really is amazing how much better my pain is if I lose even 10 lbs. I know that alot of docs will not do surgery if you are overweight.
  • I am overweight and loosing weight with my doctor monitoring my weight loss. I am on a medication prescribed by my primary care doc and I have lost 20lbs in 3 months. I talked to my PC doc and told him how fustrated I was my weight and with the back problems and not being able to exercise without making my pain much worse. He ran some tests to make sure I was healthy enough for the meds and then I had to agree to see him monthly. Its working so far. My ortho doc said he did not want to do surgery if I did not loose weight but is trying other options to treat my back pain while I continue to try loosing the weight. I understand the surgery would be harder with the extra weight and may be more dangerous too.
    I hope you can find docs concerned about you, your pain and help you with the weight issue. Take care.
  • I'm new here. Sorry I haven't done my signature line yet but I was just reading this thread and had to ask this question.

I just had a L3-L4 fusion done on 11/19/08. I'm supposed to be walking but with the roads icy, all I need to do is fall! I was walking around in circles in my living room but that was making my hips hurt. So then I started walking forward and backward in a line and my hips are feeling better.

After reading this post I was wondering could I use a recumbent bike at this point? I've put on 20 pounds since my car accident 2 years ago because I haven't been able to do my pilates. It's very depressing.

I was going to get a membership to a local indoor pool but the thought of that's really depressing since I'm out of shape. Yes, let's put on a bathing suit and go out in public!

At least with the bike I could do that at home and no one would see my out of shape body!

I know I'm supposed to be walking because it helps the healing process. Is there a difference between walking or using a bike regarding the healing process?

Thanks,
    EM
  • I would call the doctor and ask if the bike could substitute for some of the walking. I hope your recovery goes well. You might want to make a new post asking your question, you will have more people reading it. I hope this helps. It is great to have new people join and get new information from others.
    Stacey
  • Pool Lady,

Thank you, I should have done a new post from the start. :-)

EM
  • I'm overweight by a good 150#. My back problems started when I was thin and in shape and a strong swimmer. I bulged 3 discs back then and have gained over the years. Now, one is protruding, but I'm lucky not to have ANY doctor say anything about my weight. I'd see a different doctor if they gave me too much of a hard time. I don't need bias and discrimination in addition to my pain. I simply won't tolerate it. Yes, I'm obese. Yes, I know it. Yes, it is a constant struggle. Yes, I would like to lose the weight. No, it's not simple. Yes, I deserve to be treated like any other patient with tact and respect.
    Hugs, April
  • thank you all for the fellowship i have found here...it truley helps me see that i am no longer alone in this!

supporting each other, and sharing our wisdoms will aid us all to adapting to life as a spiney!

best wishes to all for a better year ahead!

dawn
  • Hi everyone :H

I am so glad that I found a thread about this issue, finally some people to share my frustration!

I just recently saw an orthopedic surgeon who....was less than a good doctor. Im 5'6 and right now I weigh 180 so im about 50lbs overweight. I brought my 2 old MRI's with me, that show DDD, stenosis and a disc bulge at l5-s1. This doctor looked at my MRI for maybe 1 minute, never examined me physically other than to test my reflexes, and the rest of the time lectured me about my weight. They gave me an xray since my MRI was 3 years old and he told me by the xray he could tell nothing had changed from my MRI. (yeah right)I explained to him that...im 22 now and yeah i know i need to lose weight, im on weight watchers but i cant excercise enough to make a significant impact. When my pain started at 14 i was a size zero, its been the gradual decrease in my mobility that has lead to putting on weight. He told me to give WW a year, and it was no big deal because he had seen worse stenosis in his older patients. :W I ended up getting a new MRI and lots of things have changed...i now have multi-level problems and new problems at L5-S1. Im debating about what to do, I feel like this is malpractice...granted nothing happened to me because of lack of treatment but the only reason i got the MRI was because i said another doctor (well known in the business) wanted to council me privately.

I feel like people who are young or overweight are not treated fairly. I realize my weight doesnt HELP the problem but it didnt cause it. Its incredibly tragic

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.