Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back problems - past redemption?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
Hail the reader and bless the respondent.
I am 72 years old. I was poisoned during the '39 - 1945 2nd world war.
The family became lame as a result. When some strength returned and we learned to walk again some muscles had given up the ghost entirely, leaving us (my family, 3 brothers father and mother) to learn to walk using that which would work for us. The result is that i walk with a bad gate which has effected my feet (flat feet) my knees (knock knees) and my hips and spinal cord.
At that time we were in hospital for about a year in Holland. Emigrated to South Africa in 1948.
Handicapped as I am, I was a sports freak and played interprovincial table tennis and leauge tennis and badminton.
Just as I am, physically challenged, I have sailed my own 45 ft sloop around the world.
At this time I have had 5 back operations lumba spine and neck area. 6 Days ago I had an MRi scan done and also Xrays taken of the neck area which is the most painful at this time. They have tried rhizotomy treatment but it has not worked. I have now been told that it is a general spinal degeneration and he (the neuro surgeon who operated on me before)can not do any more for me.
At this time I am taking more Celebrex and Synap forte than I am supposed to take, but yet there is no easing of the pain.
The last operation was the implantation of a cage in upper spine. The cut was made from the front through my throat area. The back pain was elimanated for some 2 years now the disc above it has given in (7/8) in the neck. 6/7 was the previous op. The pain is unbareable... it has aged me 10 years since its inception some 6 weeks ago... it is driving me insane, cant sleep, cant walk, cant stand, cant sit down, etc etc.
The condition all but freezes my shoulder with sever pain behind the shoulder blade (left) and much constant pain in my arm pit, down the back of the upper arm and lower arm with the elbow being the most critical pain. The top of my left hand above the joint of the pinkie and ring finger to the hand are dead. A needle can not hurt it, and the fingers themselves are half dead. The whole hand has constant pins and needles. The pain is unreal, and I am at my wits end. I am taking about double the dose of medicine that was prescribed for the pain, and yet it does not do away with the pain. Do you have any advice please?
thank you
Hansa
advertisement

Comments

• I wish that there were some advice that I could offer you to ease or alleviate your pain and the symptoms causing the pain. I do not have any answers for you. Instead I would like to welcome you to Spine Health and to tell you that here you will find support and commraderie. Perhaps there is another that may be able to offer you advice. Please know that I will lift you up in thought and prayer. I applaude you for continuing to search and find answers. That alone for many is more than they can seem to muster the mental, physical, and emotional stamina to achieve.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Welcome to Spine Health. What kind of options if any, has the doctor given to you other than medication? Has he discussed a pain pump or a spinal cord stimulator? I have a spinal cord stimulator for pain in my neck, shoulders, arms and hand. It works wonderfully. I think it's awesome that at 72 you are still telling the world that you refuse to give in to what it has been throwing at you!

"C"
  • I am so sorry to hear of your story and your pain. I wish I had some answers or advice for you. I can offer prayers and support. >:D<
  • Do you have nerve pain? If so, maybe a nerve pain med will help you. The other meds will not help nerve pain. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • Dear Haglandc,
    I thank all who replied and offered help and prayers, I have prayed for many years asking the the good Lord to give me some painfree days to enable me to experience a few days of normal life... who knows why not.

I am interested to know more the spinal cord stimulator please... I bought a Behmer mat at a horrendous cost, but it does nothing for anyone. i have lent it to others for all sorts of healings which they claim will benefit from this.
    Yhank you

• Thank you for the reply and the prayer undertaking.
    You also appear to be going through some fearful trials in your life. I too have no answers, apart from begging my Lord to let me have a few painless days before I go to him. At this time this does not seem in his plans for me.
    I shall pray for you for the release of pain.
    Regards
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.