Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depressed can't stay awake

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Depression and Coping
I'm new here and my use of these forums is limited at best. Don't even know how to post a reply. :S Anyway, This is the second time I've been on lyrica. New doc cut my oxycontin by 20 mgs. a day and I don't know if it's the lyrica, or cutting back on oxy that is making it hard to stay awake. I even fell asleep at Christmas dinner with my family while I was sitting in a chair. Talk about embarrasing. From what I've read here, I'm not the only who has problems and side affects from meds. I take 40 mgs of oxy every 12 hours and 75 mgs of lyrica 3X. It's so frustrating and depressing. Right now I'm sleeping an average of 10 to 12 hours a day. It helps the pain, but sleeping that many hours leaves little time to do things. I'm not even talking about big things. I gave a lot of that up a long time ago, learning to live with what I have. As many of you know. You have to, or your mind takes you all kinds of places it's best not to go. I know I can't be, or do the things I used to. Hiking, biking, rock climbing etc..I just want to be able to take care of my family and do my part time job, which is writing for our local paper. It took me 4 years to find a job I can do. The punching a clock thing doesn't work too well when you only get about 6 good hours a day and doing anything more than an hour or so makes pain worse. Like many others here, I've had a bumpy ride with docs. This is my 3rd PM doc and I too, am tired of docs being more concerned with DEA agreements than helping with pain. I complained when my last doc screamed at me for taking less than sometimes. She didn't even examine me that day. Just stood in the door accusing me. Two appointments later she kicked me out because I told her I had a friend who was an attorney who said I had the right to be treated with dignity and respect and at the least deserved an apology. ~X( If anyone has any insights in using these forums, posting a reply or med side affects they would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome to Spine Health. I am sorry to hear of your pain, troubles and worries. I too find myself sleeping alot. I feel bad because I don't feel like a part of the family anymore. I try to participate and do as much as I can for my family. Did you family take a pic of you sleeping at christmas dinner table? I wish you well and am glad that you have joined this site.
  • Did you say you were taking less of the med and the Dr. was mad at you? I know Lyrica can make you tired but I think the symptoms wear off after a few weeks on them. I find that flexeril makes me more tired than Lyrica. I can't help with the DEA agreements because we don't have them in Canada. When they cut your oxycontin, are you still having pain? I would look for another pm Dr. if that's so. I get all my meds from my family or PCP. Make sure you follow up with bloodtests with your Dr. to make sure there's nothing else going on and take a multivit. Are you trying to excercise a bit because that could help you sleep better and increase energy. I hope you're feeling better and find a Dr. who is willing to help you so you'll have some quality of life. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That's what I said. Doc had given me 5mg oxy for breakthrough pain, which I was allowed to take 2x daily. Once a week, or at least a couple of times a month on a good day I didn't take both doses. I just turned 49 and will more than likely be in PM the rest of my life. So, in the name of tolerance, God forbid the drugs stop working, if I could take less than I did. I left all of them in the bottle for pill counts and was totally floored with the docs response. Since when under any circumstance is it okay for a doc to scream at a patient? When I tried to talk to doc about it, it was like it never happened. "I don't recall what happened at our last appointment." That's all I got and then, "And, since you talked to an attorney, I won't see you anymore and I have that right." Needless to say, I left both appointments in tears. PM is so controlled here. I live in Ohio. I was afraid a new doc wouldn't even see me.
    I had all my blood tests and annual physical not too long ago, within last 6 months, so I don't think anything else is going on. The first time I took lyrica that doc took me back off in about ten days, but had me on 3x the dose. My hands and feet looked like balloons and it gave me double vision. Yes, I told my new doc but I was asked to try again.

Thanks so much for talking with me. How are things for you? What are some of the things you have trouble with? What kind of pain levels do you deal with. How do you cope with limitations? Don't answer if you don't want to, but conversations go both ways and if there is anything I can help with, I'm glad to listen.
  • I basically did the same thing after taking myself off of vicodin. As of 8 weeks ago, I was an extremely active 38 year old male (still playing baseball, which caused the injury and occasionally still play ice hockey).

You'd think I would have the physical ability to push forward and be "ME" during the holidays. All I have to say is that the meds are messing with physiology and psychology follows. Physiologically, coming off of some things, or starting others, will cause you to want to sleep. Given my profession, I'd rather sleep sometimes; I get into meeting after meeting...

Anyway, I've claimed a chair at our family's Thanksgiving and Xmas gathering spot (my mom's). Valium, spiked egg nog, football and that chair did it in for me....I was out and they've got the pictures to prove it.

Check with doc and remember there's a lot behind this that has nothing to do with your ability (physiology, meds & psychology are easily out of whack and consider it temporary).

Take care,
    AJ
  • It's good to know I'm not the only one falling asleep where I stand. Sorry to hear that your life has changed so much, AJ. All I can tell you is that it's a loss, and a big one, so don't cheat yourself grieving time. It took me over a year. Lots of anger, lots of 'beat myself up' conversations, "You used to be able." Well, I'm not able and out of all that I made a new identity for myself. You used to be able was too depressing. I changed it to, "what can I do now."
    Hasn't been too bad. I started writing for our local paper (for free) got hired a year later. It's a great job for someone like me. An hour here, an hour or two there for interviews and meetings. I do all my writing at home.
    Hope all your testing goes well and you find some solutions. Most of all, I hope you are working with docs you can trust.

:)
  • Signs and symptoms of depression :

* Irritability or anger
    * Continuous feelings of sadness, hopelessness
    * Social withdrawal
    * Increased sensitivity to rejection
    * Changes in appetite -- either increased or decreased
    * Changes in sleep -- sleeplessness or excessive sleep
    * Vocal outbursts or crying
    * Difficulty concentrating
    * Fatigue and low energy
    * Physical complaints (such as stomachaches, headaches) that do not respond to treatment
    * Reduced ability to function during events and activities at home or with friends, in school, extracurricular activities, and in other hobbies or interests
    * Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
    * Impaired thinking or concentration
    * Thoughts of death or suicide

• Ticked every one of those.
  • as did I. I still have these feelings at times even on meds. I work through it the best I can. I am so grateful to have found this site and it has helped me through some of my toughest days.
  • Yes my legs and feet swelled up too so my Dr. gave me lasix and the swelling went down. I couldn't even get my shoes on my ankles were huge. I'm sorry you're having problems with your pm Drs. I'm at my 2nd one now and he seems okay. I'd like to try rhizotomy before any surgery so I may ask the pm Dr. Feb. 2nd when I see him if that's an option for me. I went to my family Dr. and told her the meds were only lasting for 4 hours and even then I have pain so she increased the meds so I'm on MS Contin 60 mg twice a day. And like you I have extra pills left over because I fall asleep and don't take the evening ones sometimes as my sleeping pill puts me right out. I've been limited and don't go out I excercise at home. I can't walk too far and don't drive. My husband takes me to the Doc's office. He does everything for me. Anyway I was waiting for this herniated disc to heal on it's own but I see a second opinion Ortho Jan. 22 to see if I need surgery. I'm lucky they'll save my job at work for 24 months. I've been off work for 10 months. I hope you can find another pm Dr. You're right no Dr. should scream at a patient I think I would report them to the AMA anyways maybe bring a family member to your next pm visit. Talk later okay? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement