Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Same ol Question here :)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone :H

I've been reading through the forums concerning spine fusion trying to gather answers to many of my questions.

I just had surgery on L4 & L5 about two weeks ago. They also Fused the two together. So basically two surgeries in one.

For the first week I laid still, didn't move much and tried to take it easy. My husband ran the house for me with two small children.

Well around Christmas holidays I found that it was nearly impossible to just lay still. I think my husband was about to go insane with all the commotion going on..lol
So I had to get up and help were I could. I have a 3 yr old and an 8 month old. So I had to lift, bend and twist also.

Now of course I am hurting like crazy.

My question is simply this. Has anyone else had to do the lifting and bending and twisting so soon after surgery and if so did you still turn out ok or did you mess up something and had to go back to the doctor or possible surgery again?? I am really worried but life doesn't stop for me to recover.

I wear my back brace often also but sometimes my 3 yr old runs off with it and who knows where it ends up.

Just needing some answers here.

Thanks

Alice

advertisement

Comments

• But I think that you are not supposed to be lifting or twisting. I am just remembering that my husband wasn't allowed to at all for a few weeks. I hope that you haven't hurt yourself :S .

I am sure that it is very hard with the kids though, I know how it is!!!!
  • In general(unless your doc has said otherwise) you should NOT BE LIFTING ANYTHING HEAVIER THAN A GALLON OF MILK.) Your 3 year old is old enough to be a helper and bring you your brace. My daughter was just short of 3 when I had my fusion surgery and she is still thrilled about what a big helper she is by picking things up. She'll bring me bottles of water out of the fridge. I buy uncrustable smucker's PBJ sandwiches and leave them in the fridge so that she can get her own lunch if it's a bad day.

I'm not trying to be a meanie here, but why the heck is your 3 year old running off with your brace? It's very nice of you to think of how stressed your husband might be, but YOU NEED TO HEAL. The first three weeks after lumbar fusion are just for healing. Wear that brace so that you cannot bend in ways you are not supposed to. Use your grabber tool. Involve your 3 year old in helping you. You will be in worse shape later on if you do not follow the rules now. Your 8 month old weighs way too much for you to pick up. Yeah, it sucks. I haven't picked up my daughter in over 2 years.

You've got to take care of yourself now or you will be no good to anyone later. You need help. Hubby, grandmas, church members, daycare, whatever, you've got to have that support system. You've got to accept the fact that your house will look like a tornado hit it(unless you can afford a housekeeper.) You're right, life doesn't stop for you to recover, but you and your family have to adapt and that's that. You have no superwoman cape to put on(well, I don't think so anyway! :) )

I'm really not trying to sound harsh, I really feel for you as I am a mother with 3 kids and I am the one who makes the household run. I'm just trying to stress how much you need this time so you won't up with complications. Is your husband staying home to take care of the 8 month old or is 8 month old going to daycare? Please give us more info and we maybe can give you tips on how to cope or find resources.

Angie
  • Hey there! ER nurse is right, no bending, lifting, or twisting, as my husband has told me several times. It is really hard when the pain lets up a bit, the house looks horrible, & nothing to eat. You just have to sit back & bite it. Say, I'm sorry guys, I was told NOT to do this, this, & this. In order to recover properly, it has to be this way until my doc says different. Don't feel like you are a burden. Let them read your transcripts, of what you had done. My husband couldn't believe it. Good luck with no lifting, twisting & bending! Linda
  • Unfortunately, I had to do more BLT's than I should have and am still in horrible pain 6 months post op fusion. My husband didn't care about any restrictions the doc placed. I showed him the notes from the hospital but I didn't get much help. I don't suggest that you just go ahead and take over. It really is better if you can get someone to help you out. I didn't get to rest and take care of my body properly like I was supposed to. I was still taking care of my dad (who's in a wheelchair), grandma who had 2 mini strokes and stage IV cancer in both lungs. There are others to take care of them but they think since I am home, I have nothing else better to do.

Anway, I hope you are feeling better soon and listening to your body. Please don't push yourself to pain.
advertisement