Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

one year post-op from tri/level fusion

dexter1ddexter1 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:O Hi All,
I have been reading these postings for almost one year now.You people are GREAT on here,given me alot of help and support.so here goes.I had my tri/level fusion with cages/BMP,on 1/15/08.NOTHING went well for me,I thought i had selected the very best NS in the area,one doctor office,does surgery in both Boston,NY,and western Mass.He was very supportive both before,during,and 10 months post op.I never really got alot of pain releif from the surgery,but did get some.Now almost a year to date I am having new symtoms at the sacrum area,so I go to see him last week and he tells me that I have a ratty looking sacrum,but we all knew that BEFORE surgery.I have spent the last few days going over all my CT/flexion reports,and they total 7 CT'S and 5 flexions,and in those reports i see every one of them mention a sac. joint dissorder.My question is this,because my surgery was L/2 down to S/1 and fixed with ped screws into my sacrum as a base,WHy did he think that a ratty sacrum was going to support all those upper levels to begin with?Now I am looking at a revision surgery to my L/4 to my S/1.My pain level in my tailbone is off the charts,with butt pain,hip pain,drop foot,and to top it off,He wants to keep me only on 5/325 percos,6 a day.What is wrong with this picture???Please help with your thoughts.
advertisement

Comments

• I would strongly encourage you to get a second opinion. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am so sorry to hear about your new problems Dexter. What I don't understand is why he did not do anything to strengthen your sacrum at the time of your surgery. You see, I had the same problem, when the OS exposed my sacral area to perform the L3-S1 fusion in May, he discovered that S1 was in really bad shape and it wouldn't have held the screw. So he enforced it with bone epoxy (cement), let it dry before inserting the screw. This added another hour to my surgery, but it was worth it. By five months I was almost completely fused and I have been doing really well ever since the surgery. So I agree with Charry, go an get a second opinion and a third, if necessary. See what your options are.

Good luck to you!

Kin
  • I agree, always get a second opinion even if you thought he was the best one first time around.

On pain meds, tell him you hurt, ask if he'll write for a long acting med until surgery with percocet as a breathrough med. Maybe he has a pain management doc in his group that he will allow you to see for a good cocktail that will help until surgery.