Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rough weekend

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:''( I need to VENT! I am having a rough weekend pain wise. I am having severe SI joint apin and shooting pains in my left leg and have been since Friday AM. I was in bed most of Friday,but forced myslef to go out today as I needed groceries and to get my car detailed. I am supposed to see a chriropractor on Monday since my last SI joint injection failed and I am not certain if that will work,but the doctor suggested it.

I am almost 11 months out and I thought I'd be better by now. :/
advertisement

Comments

• I would get a pain management Dr. and another PCP Dr. I hope you're feeling better and hope you're on something for pain. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey Bucky! I too am 11 months out & have been totally miserable since this %^&%&^@^$& weather moved in Friday....are you in Wisconsin by any chance? (For those who are not--lucky you---we are having rain, turning to snow later w/ dampness/fog & soon, high winds...totally UGH!) It is wreaking havoc on my hardware, my SI joint & Bucky, it's my RIGHT leg that has the shooting sciatica-like pains...are you & I sharning the same body?! :)

Not saying it's weather-related, but were you better b4 this & have you been feeling dismal just recently since this storm system stalled-out on Thurs/Fri?

Take your meds, sit on some ice or go outside & put some snow in a Ziplock bag like I did b4 & sit/lie on that---man, that's COLD!! Feels great!

Vent all you want ! I'm ready to scream!! (I guess I just did!)

~Lakeside (Lake Michigan, which is the bad-guy tonight!)
  • I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I am 6 months post op L5/S1 fusion and can relate to your frustration. I had SI joint injection a couple of weeks ago that didn't help and have been having horrible SI pain in addition to low back pain for months. It's been worse during this week due to the Holidays. I hope you feel better soon. I am in the process of finding a new PM doc and getting referral to neuro since my ortho and PM doc seem to have given up on me.
  • What exactly does a pain management dr.do?? My OS (or rather his PA- I rarely see him) has never suggested that. Instead the PA seems to think that the chiro will be beneficial. I had a bad expereince with a chiro 10 years ago when I hurt my ankle at work. I just got worse and eventually had to have surgery.

Have you done chiro for your back??
  • I am not in Wisconsin, but Colorado, where it has been quite cold. No snow at present, but some is expected for New Year's Day. I have Percocet, but I am down to my last 25 and my Dr. won't give me anymore.also ahve some Oxycontin left from my surgery, but I don't want to take it unless it is a dire emergency.I did take on perc tonight and will take a Zanaflex before bed. The pain has kept me awake the past 2 nights.

Thanks for listening- I hope you also feel better.
  • I did chiro from 5 days old until about 2 yrs ago. He never ordered tests, just kept adjusting and did decompression...where they stretch you. I think it did more harm than good. PM's can give injections. Search pain management doctors on spine health forum and you may get better info. I wish you luck in your search for answers and releif.
  • I wouldn't go to chiro for manipulation. A pain control Dr. can give steroid injections to help with the pain and swelling. He can order pain meds to help. He can order physio. I had a bad experience with chiro years ago and he snapped my neck and he didn't tell me he was going to do that. And in February before seeing my Dr. I went to chiro and he wouldn't even touch me with a herniated disc. They did have a massage therapist and I used TENS machine and they showed me some excercises. It depends on your history also and your PCP can help give his opinion. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • . . . are with you. Pray that you get on top of your pain.
  • ...hope things are better for you today, as it seems this storm system is moving east...today we have high winds, light snow etc bu the baromoter is going back up, which helps...Colorado! Wow! I love the Rockies! We go to MT & WY every year & intend to see Colorado soon. Beautiful part of the U.S.!
    Re a PM doc: I had one between my 2 & 3 surgeries & all he did was 10 injections, some RX's like neutontin for my leg pain (didn't help, made me sick)--stopped seeing him when NS said it was time for a fusion. Have not seen him since, either, as I'm still under the care of my NS... Some PM docs really help, some don't --you may need to shop around until you find someone who "gets it". Sorry you are running low on pain meds, but many surgeons won't RX pain mgmt meds after 3-4 months...that's why there was the suggestion to see a PM doc...ach, it's just nuts, isn't it!

Have you tried a TENS unit? Or gentle PT, like myofascial massage &/or water therapy? Your initial post sounded like a "flare" pain response...so do hope you are better today...

Don't hesitate to call your doc soon, esp since you are not sleeping well...keep us posted! That's what we're all here for!

~Lakeside
  • This is something I keep with me always, in my head, as my last ortho doc after my 1st fusion, made me feel like I was an addict who made up this pain to continue getting pills a year and a half after the fusion...

My regular PCP told me that some surgeons don't know what to do with you when you still hurt after surgery. Like after surgery, their job is done and in a way, it's like a failure to them if you are still in pain.

That doc did my first two surgeries (lamin and fusion) and I quickly changed. I am NOT going to tolerate anyone who gives me the glimpse of them feeling like I am a drug addict.

And I won't get started on that subject as I can go on for hours, but those of you who have chronic pain know we'd give up these pills in a heartbeat for a painfree day.

If you're doc is refusing to give pain meds when you need them, check into a pain management doc. I can understand wanting to put you on something different but not take you off completely when you are still hurting.
  • I'm having a miserable weekend too and I have been laid up for a good while. I had 2 back surgeries and none of my surgeons ever told me to see a chiro. I'm surprised that yours did. Your back and nerves are in a delicate state and a chiro is not qualified to deal with that and can cause further damage. Thankfully I'm under pain mgt. care and I get treated really well. I'm over 7 months out of my TLIF on L4-S1 and it hurts badly. I try to hang on and be positive, but it's hard dealing with chronic pain on a daily basis.
  • I saw the chiropractor yesterday-he sees many of the patients that my surgeon has operated on. he had me do some stretches and stretched me out on the table and it HURT! :jawdrop: My left lwer leg became even more numb than it has been for about five minutes. I am still stiff and sore, so I don't know if this was beneficial or not. I'll try some of the stretches tonight before bed. The next step is another SI injection, then nerve ablation.
  • buckyD, I hope you start feeling better soon...I'm sure it's a frustrating as it is painful (maybe).

Maybe it's just me, and I'm not badmouthing or putting down the different methods and all, but I'd be hesitant to consult with a chiropractor...granted I've only been a total of 4 months or so earlier in my onset...I'd just be scared they'd "do something" that would make things worse, especially relatively soon after an operation...not saying there's not a place for chiros

hoping you find relief soon
advertisement