Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Smoking after Laminectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all

I had a laminectomy performed 10 days ago. I DO know that I must quit smoking now, and I have. At the sake of sounding like a drug adict (which I promise I am not) my question is: does this apply to marijuana as well?

Also.. should I not be using it while taking Oxycodone

Please advise, and thank you very much

advertisement

Comments

• You can call your local Police Dept. and they will answer that question for you.
  • welcome to spine-health,if your doctor told you to quit smoking,that would mean marijuana too....ps if your not sure ask your doctor......
  • I guess the better question would be: what was I thinking.. asking a serious question on the internet and expecting a serious answer.. I thought this forum would be different..

No I'm not asking my doctor
    I doubt police have much medical knowledege

Thanks anyways
  • LMAO @ police dept hahahahahhaa
  • We're a good group of people but you're asking about something that is illegal and I don't expect that anyone would feel comfortable about answering that question. But I'd be willing to bet it's not helping your fusion AT ALL! Give it up if you can at least while your body heals. And I wouldn't do that while taking oxycodone either. I take percocet and I don't know how you would be able to function so that you can start to rehabilitate.
  • Perhaps a little human compassion might be better. If you don't have anything to offer then don't post. We are not here to judge each other. We are here to help each other no matter what our situation or condition is. There are many people on here who have discussed medicinal use of marijuana. We don't laugh at them or make fun of them. So please don't post unless you have something to offer. That's part of the rules around here. Please go back and read them. Don't believe me please contact any one of the moderators and they will be glad to explain them.
  • As one who has not partaken in over 28 years, but who thinks it should be legalized for a handful of reasons and knowing people who still do, and ATTENTION GROUP...knowing someone who lives in California and legally smokes it for his chronic back pain...I would think it would be better than cigarette smoke unless you sit around and smoke as many j's as you would cigarettes. Just the sheer fact that you would smoke less would make me think it would be better than regular smoking.

Now if you're question was medically does the MJ smokes affect you differently/worse/better, etc., than cigarette's, I don't know, but I'm just going on what is inhaled in your lungs, and how better lung function helps healing.

And if interested let me know, I can get you the email addy of the friend who lives in CA, he may know more about the drug/smoke issues. My gut tells me there would be none as long as it's just a couple times a day but I will be glad to get his email for you.
  • After reading honest heartfelt replies, and searching the net.. I have decided to stop smoking anything all together.. I want to recover as quickly as possible and do it the right way.. it will not be hard at all to stop.. and the pain meds I am taking do work very well. I was most concerned with the healing process, than the pain control aspect of smoking. I am more educated today than I was yesterday :-)

Thank you so much for replies!
  • Congratulation Alix! Now you have taken the first and most important step toward your recovery. From the main menu, you can find a thread that deals with smoking only. If you need to get support, or have a question, you may find it helpful. But I am sure you will find sympathetic ears on this thread to, so don't be afraid to share your concerns.

Good luck and best wishes!

Kin
  • Have been around here quite a bit longer than you.... I was posting to keith's post not the original one. And as far I the "rules" goes I know them well and they get broken or bent daily. Sometimes laughter is the best medicine for those in pain. If you dont like what I post, that's simple, dont read it. Medicinal use of pot is not legal in my state, and if the original poster wants to smoke it so be it. You cannot tell me not to post, this forum is one of many with people in pain. If you or any other people on this forum got there feel gooders hurt, so sorry. Like I said i was posting to keith's call the local police dept.
    As a RN, and advanced EMT who has worked in ortho and pain management many years I have offered alot of good advice and knowledgeable advice to people on this forum and will continue to do so.
  • Please close this thread!
  • Alix, I am a forty eight year old professional who is also ten day post-op. Dec. 19th. Two fusions on c5/56 c6/c7. I do smoke marijuana. I cannot take narcotics and gave up the percocet and rarely take a valuim only if headaches are real bad. I do have a smoke although would prefer the eating of marijuana in food because of the effects on the lungs. I would not combine anything with the narcotics as they are very dangerous. Hope your recovery is a good one.
  • I will not comment on the smoking of mj on this forum. I would discuss with your doctor any and all questions regarding smoking.. yes, it is bad in more ways than most know. I hope your didnt take my laughter to what keith said as in any way degrading you cause I would in no way laugh at anyone on the forum.. Ive had surgery my self and I know the ups and downs we face daily, the patience we have to have and alot of the times its wayyyy hard to have it. So to you Alix, I apologize. My laughter was honestly from keiths reply, and no way directed to you. I wish you the best... and remember, its one day at a time!
  • This is going to sound terrible but this thread makes me want brownies. Totally normal brownies, I assure you. But I really want them.

• Just a brownie....with walnuts... :))(

• MMMM Lo, that does sound wonderful! Who's cooking 'em? I dont have a mix, just hot chocolate mix lol.
advertisement