Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trust issues with docs?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Matters of the Heart
Asking the question, because at the beginning of all this five years ago when I first starting seeing docs, I trusted them. My family doc who sent me to physical therapy when I first complained of back and leg pain. I was sent with a spinal fracture. My nerosurgeon who didn't do anything wrong, but dismissed me when the back surgery failed. The docs I went to for second opinion who scratched their heads, or said "I can take your fusion apart and put in a new one." Which brings me to pain management docs who seem to care more about DEA agreements and pill counts than managing pain.
I've come to the conclusion that docs have to earn trust just like anyone else. Most often we do more research and background checks on any other professional, why not docs. Sometimes referral isn't enough, at least not for me. I've started asking things such as: why did you get into medicine, what do you like about it, when coming to work name one thing that makes your day. I've heard some interesting answers and as far as trust is concerned knowing some more personal background helps.
Does anyone else have questions they ask docs? I could use a few more to add to my list.

:> Having trouble trusting docs
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! i ask them what there policy is in returning calls. :-C trying to get hold of a doctor who never returns calls, or even remembers your name when they do, can be so painful to say the least!! having an emergency, a question for the doctor on your care, or even needing refills and going through 3 or 4 nurses first is not good policy to me. just a thought!! you have some good questions lined up. =D> Jenny :)
  • What a good question! I never thought of doing any of that. I guess I'm still of the old-school method of just listening to what they tell me. Most of the time, I feel I'm taking too much of their time and so I just concentrate on the issues at hand. I think next time I go, I'll ask some of the questions ya'll have suggested.

Good topic! Thanks!
  • I can't stand going into an appt, waiting an hour in waiting room, 30 mins in the exam room then the doc finally comes in and can't wait to cut you off while you are talking and seems to rush you out the door. I get so frustrated and I demand their attention. They are pain good money to listen. Heck, how are they supposed to diagnose us if they don't listen to all our symptoms. I try not to stick with docs like that.

I just thought I would throw that one in there.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!