Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Highly active people after buldge/herniated disck?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
Are there any people out there who after a buldging/herniated disc still remain highly active without surgery? Im talking about like running several miles a day, gymnastic,or martial arts daily. I'm only 22 years old and i have a buldging disc in my l5 s1 and basicly urban acrobatics, gymnastics, and running are my life. My pt says i should be ok to start doing these things again. Even though im still in some pain, i still feel a bulge, and my back gets tighter and tighter as the day goes on.

Anyone got advice?
advertisement

Comments

• You may have to spend a lot of time preserving your back if you want to continue those things. I would check out all the options available to you and see if one is a good fit. Many people have bulging discs and live with them forever. The key for you is to find out the severity of it and figure out if it can be maintained and preserved while allowing you to do what you want to do. I suspect I had bulging discs (2) for years and I am highly active (was) when one of them finally went way out and I am now recovering from Surgery. Educate yourself on how your back is built and what it really does and you will better understand what you can and shouldn't do. You may just have to cut out a certain part of your routine not to irritate it. I advise you to seek the advise of several fields in this area and go forward with the one that seems right for you, as you can always change later. You have options besides surgery very possibly that will work 4 u.
  • I used to run 30-40 miles a week. My cruising speed was 6.0-6.6 mph, followed by seated back press @ 12x25, maxed out @350 lbs, 60 incline sit-ups, and a 1/4 to 1 mile swim. Resting pulse was <60; working - mid 130's. After my first lumbar laminectomy for sciatica my surgeon told to lay off the high impact stuff and stick to swimmimg and take up incline walking. I was crestfallen. I needed... you know.
    OK, I now incline walk. Yes! I still rip. I burn even more. Pre-op, my crusing rate on a treadmill @15 degrees was 1200-1500 cal/hr; record 1740. Now still swim, but distance is dependent on how my neck feels. Resting pulse still <60, but working is upper 140's. Two spine surgeries later, I still cruise @1200 c/h; can do 10% as many sit-ups, can do the roman chair, but not as many; seated b/p 12x8@250 lbs; two years post-op from lastest surgery. Btw, I've also had 5 abdom surg, a heart fixed (birth defect), an aneurysm repaired, and minor brain sugery (cough; now no one can say I have crud for brains, except my wife). When I get angry at my situation, the pain "gets stupid", or I have to see a scary doctor... again, I try to get to the gym. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.