Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MORNING PAIN

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
hi all
now what i want to know is this...when i wake in the morning i am in agony .my back is stiff and my right leg is on fire and it feels like someone is crushing my leg and my foot is cold {normal temp to touch} and numb but hyper sensitive! IE if i put slippers on they feel like they are too small{that are not by the way}.so the only thing i can put on my feet are girls fluffy bed socks!!! because they are soft.very soft.
its like this every time i wake..i take my pain meds and put my acticare on and within 2 hours its back to normal pain..if you know what i mean! i am never pain free.
i wondered if any body Else was like me in the morning
just for the record i have had 2 surgeries on my back and i have a very good bed. all i wanted to know ..was is it like this for all back pain people.and the only way to find out is to ask ..right?
have a good new year all
lets hope for a pain free 2009
STRAKER
advertisement

Comments

• Mornings are always bad for me, takes about 2 hours for things to settle down. I never sleep over 5-6 hrs each night and during the day I am exhausted. Laying down for me is a nightmare, plays havoc on my neck. I actually have panic attacks about going to bed because I know how I am going to feel when I wake up.

Sharon
  • Hey there..
    When I wake it sometimes takes me 15 minutes just to roll over or scoot to the edge of the bed to get up and out of the darn thing...

Before my ACDF is was a lot worse, but as you know from that other post I made it seems to be getting back to that way again except the neck burning is not a factor anymore only neck sorness in my muscles...

I too always have some lelev of pain. I am still on pain meds and although I would like to go down I just do not think it is time.

When I get up like you all I too have to take some medication and use a heating pad for about an 1-2 hours and then I can get moving!

Straker as far as the sensitivity goes...I have had that issue before except a different area of my body. My left arm. I had a lot of surgeries on that arm but for a long long time i could not even stand certain types of surfaces, or materials to touch the area...my elbow was especially sensitive since the Ulnar nerve was entraped ther.

If I sat on a couch with a tweed or rough to the touch type of material or tried to wear a thermal long sleved shirt...forget it...it was too aggrivating.

Who the heck knows what goes on with our nerves...crazy little buggers with crazy signals to the brain!
    Misty
  • yet again i find myself in a shower of tears due to the pain that i feel especially in the morning.i don't know how much more i can take!
    anyone got any suggestions????
    STRAKER
  • thanks for your kind words
    my doctor has tried my on all the gaba type drugs like lyrica/{pregabalin} gabapentin amitriptyline dithiopin the list goes on .the gabapentin worked well at first but then apart from weight gain 3 stone in half a year! i started to retain water my legs were so swollen with fluid and i could hardly breath i thought that i was going to have an MI! as soon as my doctor took me off them i spent all weekend peeing! mt swelling went but the nerve pain came back .i would like to try SATIVAX {not sure about the spelling} that is a cannabis derived spray that they give to MS patients and cancer patients .BUT in the uk people with chronic pain have to jump through hoops to get it! its not routinely given out .it has the same profile as the gaba type drugs but without the nasty side effects.i am off to see the pain doc in a few hours so i will see what she can do for me
    thanks again
    STRAKER

• I hope you can get that med to help you. I had gross swelling also with Lyrica but once I started the lasix water pill my swelling went down and I could finally move my toes. I was afraid the swelling would burst my skin! Have a great day. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My pain is usually at its worst at some point in the morning. The stiffness and muscle pain but even my nerve pain is usually bad during the morning sometime.
  • morning is not a good time for me ..but since my last operation it has been hell . today i woke up and i felt like i had done a million st ups it take me all day to recover from sleeping ! i know that it sounds funny but its not .i do hope that some one in the not too distant future invents a cure for back pain.
    STRAKER
  • horrendous back ache.i just wish that i could get some quality of life back .because i will spend the rest of the day trying to get the pain under control and napping on my chair.i feel worn out and i have only just got up .i wish i could have just one pain free day.last night i had a spinal head ache any one else had one of these ?{the kind of head ache you get when you have had an epidural of surgery} sometimes i get them when my back ache is particuly bad .i am so fed up with this invisible illness!!
    STRAKER
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    has always been a very tough time for me. After spending XX amount of hours sleeping (cause that depends if I sleep much and if its it a bed, a recliner, a couch or the floor),
    my muscles are tight, my scar tissue areas are tighter, and my spine feels like it just doesnt move.
    It can take me up to 15 minutes just to move around after getting up. Getting into the shower and some stretching generally gets me by.
    Straker, I wish I could tell you that there is something magical that could eliminate that problem and your mornings would be less painful. For me, its all the spinal surgeries , the normal DDD progression and increasing arthritis in the spine that slows me down. Fun getting old.
    But dont give up, you will find some routine that can help you enjoy your day once the morning period is over.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • you words of wisdom are as always welcome
    STRAKER
  • I wake up every morning to that horrible headache. My ex pm doctor told me to do yoga as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning.....notice I said ex pm doctor. I went last week for a sleep study, headaches in the morning are a big sign of sleep apnea. My doctor's will try anything to blame my pain on anything buy my spine.

Sharon
  • That I have found to work besides taking my meds and waiting for them to kick in so that I can begin my day. I take them earlier now so that I can start functioning earlier... if I wait to late in the am my day is shot, which I hate. My MS told me last week that is normal, after being asleep etc and with time it will go away....but could take up to 18- 24 months. UGHHHH! I have the patience of Jobe, but even mine are wearing thin after 5 months.
    Hang in there, I know what it feels like!
  • i dont tend to have head aches .but from about 3pm yesterday i started with a mega one! its is just subsiding now i am thinking that it is a megrain .i tend to have one ore two a year .{i dont know why} but i do wake in awful pain every morning and it takes all day to get the pain under control.what is pixxing me off is that i feel like my life is going down the toilet i carnt don anything apart from lay in my recliner because if i try to do anything else it turns in to a disaster if i get out of my house all i want to do is get back sat down on my recliner because i am uncomfortable as i have mentioned on previous post i also get hot very quickly so i were baggy shorts and tee shirts {not very fashionable clothing!}if i do go out any were i have to put sweat pants on and i hate them just want to get back in to my shorts and sit in front of my fan and cool of .intractable pain is a terrible illness in its self back pain is invisible but it is destroying me .
  • Life changing for sure. I don't even know the old me at all. I use to go out at night but that come to a stop, when night gets here I am so worn down. I use to paint and garden, that stopped. I would just like to wake up one morning and feel refreshed. Maybe this sleep study will show something that can be corrected, it takes up to 3 weeks to get the results. I did start seeing a shrink about a month ago and he put me on Remeron and it does seem to help with my mood. My spine surgeon sent me to him because he thinks I have anxiety over my neck surgery. I will give anything a try and if it helps just a little bit it is worth it. 2 years the end of this month since my last surgery, long time to feel the way I do.

Sharon
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    That's when I'm the worst. when my feet hit the floor I generally know how the day will be. To bend over to put something on Is usually killer. I get downstairs as quick as I can and get the coffee going and take a methadone with the half made coffee so maybe it will get in my system faster! I don't take pain meds at night past 9:00 pm. Cause I have bad side effects. So in the morn. I'm dying. I can't move to much for 2 hrs.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • It's gotten better since my surgery, I'm not in as much pain. My routine has been to get up about 2 hours before I need to be up. I do a potty run, take my muscle relaxer and go back to bed for 2 hours. Then the muscle relaxer kicks in. But even with that, I'm still very slow the first couple hours I'm up.

I hope you can find something to help. Have you tried one of those heating/massage pads? Maybe if you lay on that for a bit it could help?

Best wishes,
    EM
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Last night I took a methadone just before bed, about 10:30 or 11:00 and decided to tuff out the side effects. My wife went to the guest room shortly after I fell asleep and the violent "twitching" began. Which I don't remember.
    This morning when I woke up after 8 hrs. sleep I was tired and did not want to get up. Partly because I was still sleepy and tired. And partly because when I'm on my back In my bed with memory foam. there is no pressure on my spine. But when I forced myself to get up and my feet hit the floor, I was in very little pain. But it could not have been quality sleep because I woke up tired and after being up for 2 hrs. and falling asleep at the kitchen table having my coffee. I feel tired drugged and hung over! By the way that last pill I took is in my contract. I just don't like to take it for obvious reasons.
    I have to drive down to the valley to a dentist appointment today. About 2 hrs. away. This is not going to work well.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I take a extended release narcotic mscontin 60mg at night and oxazepam 30mg and flexeril and now I wake up and able to get out of bed right away. It's helped since I got the facet joint injection and the epis also. But I think it's the meds. Also are you on anything like amitriptyline or lyrica for nerve pain? Sorry you're having so much pain. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.