Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Herniation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
So the deal is I got a MRI and it showed a disc herniation between L4-L5. The injury occured as a result of getting ready for a powerlifting competition in the very beginning of September.

Although my back pain has decreased and I have no siatic pain. I still cannot really work out my legs and lower back like I use too. For example if I do squats and deadlifts there is no pain just a slight discomfort but I have it the following days for about a week.

I have been cleared for all exercises by my neurosurgeon, but I expected a greater return to pre injury health by now. I know it can take up to a year but damn it feel like I am making no progress.

I should be because my legs and core are still strong despite the injury. My question to you guys is from your personal experiences is this what I shoudl be expecting, or will it ever really return to normal, etc.?

Sorry for the lengthy explanation and thanks in advance. The reason I am asking is because none of the mds I have seen can even give a vauge answer. I am a powerlifter and would like to compete again sometime.
advertisement

Comments

• About the herniation it is also to the right lateral side and they said it was a small-medium bulge if that helps.
  • lat me start off by welcoming you here to our little family...

now, my boyfriend is also a power lifter who likes to compete, and is dealing with rotator cuff recovery...i have the back issues...so, will try to do my best to help idf i can.

now, yes, your strong core muscles will help you not only recover, but help prevent reinjury to the disk.

however....i have seen through expirience, and by reading other posts, that those of us that have herniated once, will probably do so again.

not saying that you should never try to compete again, but to make evey effort to protect this now more fragile area of your body and not try to rush back into competition.

i understand how difficult that is as it has been a central point in your life for a very long time, but health first!

please take things easy, and don't rush. listen to your body, and it will tell you when it is ready.

good luck
    dawn
  • You may have to spend a lot of time preserving your back if you want to continue those things. I would check out all the options available to you and see if one is a good fit. Many people have bulging discs and live with them forever. The key for you is to find out the severity of it and figure out if it can be maintained and preserved while allowing you to do what you want to do. I suspect I had bulging discs (2) for years and I am highly active (was) when one of them finally went way out and I am now recovering from Surgery. Educate yourself on how your back is built and what it really does and you will better understand what you can and shouldn't do. I advise you to seek the advise of several fields in this area and go forward with the one that seems right for you, as you can always change later. You may have to ice down for instance after every lift session or something of that nature. Sports medicine may be a good start for you. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.