Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

POST -OP FROM HARDWARE REMOVAL

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone else out there has had there spinal hardware removed? I had mine taken out 3 wks ago,plus a laminectomy & a non-hardware fusion on L3. I was in the hosp. 10 days! (due to major internal bleeding and a huge spinal leak) Then last Monday I had to go have a bloodpatch (ouch). Anyway, I'm home now and am really, really hurting. My scar (same one as before) is really bumpy and extremely sore. One of the main problems I have is that my PM doctor - who my surgeon referred me to 1 wk before surgery - is really rude and I feel like he could care less about me. I was on (6) 10mg of Norco x 4 yrs prior to surgery and had never once asked for an increase (no wonder they pretty much stopped wkg about 2 yrs ago!) I was seeing another PM dr, but we moved...everytime I brought up my pain to my other PM dr, he'd just say, "well, do you wanna have more surgery?", so I just kept my mouth shut and left. When we moved, I saw a neurosurgeon who FOUND my problem(s) and immediately set up surgery. That's when he ref. me to a PM dr. here -- who is a young, goodlooking, very cocky, and somewhat rude person. After lvg the hosp., he cut my pain meds in half. I called his ofc and even his nurse was rude. When I went in for my post op, he said I'd have to "tough it out" and just to remember what I felt like in the hospital! My surgeon said (at the post op) that it would take a long time for me to heal and that it's not a race. My PM dr has me on 3 Norcos a day, which I'm basically immune to, plus 2 oxys a day - which I can't even feel working. Problem is I wake up sev. x's in the middle of the night hurting & have nothing to take. Not allowed to take Advil, etc. either. I feel I need to be switched to something different, but this young doc refuses to even call me back, and his nurse is like, "Nope, sorry, he won't change anything." SO, I don't know what to do. I'm in enough pain to be annoying to my husband, I'm sure, & feel terrible for that. I can't even relax enough to feel like I can heal. This doc doesn't care, and doesn't let me explain things to him. He didn't even give me decent pain medicine in the hosp. until day 3; nothing was wkg & finally they drew my blood to find out I needed FOUR transfusions! (which was why the meds didn't work, see?) I kept complaining of severe pain and kept being told I "shouldn't" feel that way...guess they found out why. So how should I handle this doctor? Would be grateful for some tips. I may call my surgeon & tell him what's going on, but hate to complain....thanks to all who reply! I sincerely appreciate it.
advertisement

Comments

• :H Welcome to Spine Health. There are a lot of helpful and nice people here. I actually have not had surgery yet, I am sure some members have had hardware removed and will come by shortly. I am so so sorry you are in so much pain, without adequate pain management. When you described you PM it sounded exactly like the one I had. Your not in Canada are you??? Every time I went to him he would Zing me with something rude. I couldn't stand the nerve blocks, did 3 sets went back to my family doc and he said to do 2 more. It took all I had to do 2 more nerve blocks with him. I am trying to say, maybe your family doc can either refer you to a PM, that would be better suited, or your family doc could provide the meds. I guess it is all about where your confort level is. I felt my family doctor knows me best, I did want meds from PM because of potential medication problems. This is just my opinion. I wish you all the best, and hope for you to have a speedy recovery. 8>
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering so. :''( i am sure you thought things would be going differently by now. is there any way to get another doctor? he doesn't sound like he has your best interests at heart. you need a doctor you can talk to and is accessible to you. :-C i wish you all the best as you try and deal with this situation. =D> Jenny :)
  • I hope you can go back to your Primary Dr. to get sufficient meds to see you through recovery. Or get your brother, Father or boyfriend/husband to call the Doctor's office and say that you are in alot of pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN