Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Five months post-op: still have neck pain...

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
December 31st will be five months since my surgery..it has been an up and down recovery..
This is where I stand now and would love some input from others who have been there!
arm pain and numbness is totally gone!
neck pain is still there..it seemed to go away for a while; came back bad. New MRI checking for psuedo-arthritis was fine (everything is in place!)..shoulder MRI showed calcification tendonitis and tears in rotator cuff. Doctor gave me a cortisone shot and I started PT for my shoulder. Stopped for neck since I was doing core exercises which lead to shoulder problem!
I need to take pain meds 2-3 times a day (ultracet) otherwise pain is so bad I can't function. I am beginning to get hives, which also happened on percocet..
I see the doctor January 2nd to discuss return to work. I really want to go to work, but my position is physical (and mentally) challenging.
I have returned to doing things I did before except grocery shopping (too hard to push cart and carry bags) Seems to me as I increased my activity level, the pain got worse. I walk daily which I think helps me alot.
I am confused: my doctor attributed the return in pain to the shoulder..how do you tell if this is still recovery pain or from another injury or if this is as good as it gets???
Sorry this is so long!
advertisement

Comments

• So sorry you are still having pain. I know you want to go back to school, I am sure its not the same without you there. I want to go back too. I hope this doctor figures something out for you next week.

Hugs,
    Shell
  • I think I may have figured something out...I took ultracet and skelaxin at bedtime last nite: woke this morning feeling much better..mornings have been horenous..so maybe by taking meds before bed, I will be able to function better in the morning. I still don't know why I have so much pain at this point though. and after taking ultracet regularly I get the "itchies" all over...so will ask doctor about other meds as well.

How are you doing? Hope you are feeling a bit better! How is PT going?

I know you want to get back to school as well. I am kinda not excited about it though, because it won't feel like my class at all this year: I will be team teaching (which I really don't like) and the class is up and running..so it won't feel like "home" to me...but I will do what I can to make it through the year (if I ever get there!)

Let me know how you are!

Donna