Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Calling all SCS Wearers

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
I've been following posts closely for the past few months. I was fortunate to get on a fast track to get my perm SCS. Successfull trial on 11/7, perm done on 12/22.

Doing ok but did not expect this much post op pain and discomfort due to the surgery. I had paddle leads installed that required a mini laminotomy in thoracic area.
All my health care professionals gave me ths impression that I would be good to go after about 2 days. NOT!!!
I stayed overnight and needed frequent vicodin to manage the post op pain. Still have some pain and discomfort and have reduced the amount of vicodin to just 4/day.

The point is that I was not prepared and changed my time off from work because I can't drive for 2 weeks (didn't know that either until after the surgery). Good news is that my nerve pain is managed beautifully with the stim.

Was anyone else "in the dark" about the true expectations post-op? I appreciate being able to tell my story and hope that others can relate to this situation.
advertisement

Comments

• I really don't think that any doc or health care professional, unless they have had an SCS implanted themself, can truly understand what it feels like (function and surgery). I believe they do their best, but it is all what is relayed to them via patients and company reps (who get their info from patients and training seminars).

Post op experiences vary from person to person when it comes to SCS implant. I believe that it would take hours for a doctor to try and explain each story he has heard from his patients. Pre-conceived notions about post op experiences can drive those experiences for some and set others up for huge disappointment or what they might consider failure.

Many times we are so overwhelmed with information and pain while seeing the doc, we forget or miss something that has been said. Some information is in the multiple pages of pre-op paperwork that we all must go through.

It's fantastic that your nerve pain is being managed so well by your SCS. What a wonderful gift you have been given.

I was so thrilled by the relief I received right away from my SCS, that it was easy to dismiss the post op discomfort. I had several weeks where it felt as if I had been hit between the shoulder blades with a baseball bat. Certain movements would generate discomfort as if I had been in a fight and lost. Where my generator is, would burn and ache every time I got up from a seated or lying position, or after extended periods of walking. To me I looked at it as a small price to pay and I knew that it would eventually go away.

The doc couldn't give me a play by play of how I would feel. All he could do is give me a few restrictions and set me loose to enjoy my new life, and I am certainly doing just exactly that.

Hang in there. You are still in the post op achy period. You will find over the next several days that this will all more than likely subside. Have a Happy New Year.

"C"
  • Thanks for your words of encouragement. Trust me - I am delighted that that the SCS is doing it's job. I was just feeling some frustration about the "surprises" I experienced post op. I work in the medical field myself and it's been hard to be on the other side as a patient.

Every day is getting better and I'm certainly looking forward to a new year of getting back to some normal activities.

Happy New Year to you as well, "C"
    Based on my readings, you have been an inspiration and wealth on knowledge to many.
  • Thanks for the kind words.

I guess since I have had several years of "surprises", the ones that came with the SCS just were taken in stride. Since the SCS made it where I could overnight walk more than 25 yards without excruciating pain, I was thrilled and went about going everywhere I wanted. I was in D.C. and hopped on the subway and went to museums and restaurants and movie theaters ... had a blast during the post op weeks. My only real frustration became the staples. I couldn't wait for those to come out!

Over the months I have had my SCS, I have learned many things about it and about myself. Not having the fear of uncontrollable pain, has allowed me to go about doing things that I used to dread. Even knowing that once in a while I'll have breakthrough pain, is okay. When that happens, I deal with it. Even then I still have "control". It's very liberating when it comes to being in pain for so long!

I hope that you are able to find your new niche in life. You will be able to educate your doc on how the SCS works for you. I think it is really awesome to hear another SCS success story.

Have a great day,

"C"
  • Hi! Hope everyone is doing ok today. I live in Canada and would like to know if any of you are from Canada and where you got your stimulator. I am at my wits end (and I mean it) am sick and tired of all the drugs. Thank you, Nancy
advertisement