Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going for 4th opinion tomorrow

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, I have my appointment at a very prestigious Univ tomorrow and Im scared to death, My husband is coming with me thank goodness, can anyone suggest any question I can ask?
advertisement

Comments

• Why have you been denied surgery? What diagnostic tests have you had? Do you have leg pain? If so, have you had a discogram? MRI's don't show everything. If you have leg pain and no one can give real answers, I'd ask about a discogram. It hurts like hell but is considered the gold standard by many neurosurgeons to help diagnose what levels are pain generators with nerve root compression. The dye lights up those discs and shows so much more than MRI.

I really don't know much of your story, don't know what to tell you. I would ask, "If I were your sister, what would you recommend?" if the doctor gives you several options.
  • the dr said WOW you have alot of things going on in 4 different levels. We wouldn't even know where to begin. So first he ordered another round of MRI's, cervical, thoracic and lumbar. then he wanted the results of my emg ( that I was never given the results of. he also said my reflexes were way off base. something was definitely wrong. He said he will also want to do a disco gram to find the main pain.He said is all honesty, it doesnt look good. but we will try.
  • I'm glad that you found someone who will listen and wants to isolate your pain generators. Yeah, you might have a lot of things wrong, but at least this guy wants to figure it out for you!

Angie
  • dmoon,
    I just want to applaud you for seeking more opinions.
    I believe that there is always a solution out there somewhere. Just gotta go get it.

I really like what ernurse says about the "if it was your sister" line of questioning.

Ask where incisions will be made, what things will be cut, what things will be done in the o.r. , what are possible contingency plans for when he is operating and finds that things aren't what he thought they were, if he and his staff will be there for you afterwards.

gGoodluck and let us know what happens.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
advertisement