Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New symptom 5-1/2 weeks postop - how worried should I be

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK, I need a little advice. Am nearly 6 weeks postop PLIF with decompression and I was feeling pretty good. Having occasional sciatica symptoms - tingling and burning - alot like before surgery but lower back pain much better. Since I know nerves take a long time to heal, haven't been too worried because my stenosis was very, very bad before surgery.

But now---I hurt my back unintentionally this past weekend having 1st time (traditional position) sex w/my dear husband (pls don't laugh). Since I have all the instrumentation, I think (hope) I just really stirred up muscles that haven't been used. Anway, the day after I really had a flair up of pain in legs, alot like after surgery when I sat too long or overdid it. But I also noticed a very slight feeling of weakness in my leg. I haven't had that symptom before. I can walk fine. It's just a perception, so to speak.

I see my doc in 2 days for a 6 week checkup and will check with him. But I just wondered if this symptom is within the range of normal sciatica flair up or if I've really messed things up! Incidentally, my doc said I could try sex whenever it was comfortable and I thought I was physically ready for it. Guess I wasn't!

Thanks for your responses. Kathy in Atlanta
advertisement

Comments

• not laughing at all sweetie.
    i think the symptoms your feeling now are normal.
    not saying that yes you could of pulled some muscles or pinched a nerve. as i am not a xray machine and cannot see through you. it takes alot to screw up the drs work.
    last yr i went flying mid air in the driveway on ice and landed full body weight on my right hip and wrist. all i hurt was my wrist, my back xrays came out great..

if its still bothering you give the dr a call, always your best bet when you don't feel right.
    what your explaining is what i felt like the first time, or even the first time i was able to do ALOT of walking. and carrying a few bags at the store.
    im 3 months out..
    like today im having alot of lower back pain. very achy legs feeling very weak throughout.
    remember ya just had major surgery.

let us know how you make out!!
    terri O:) O:)
  • I am about the same distance out from a TLIF and have had a range of things going on including sex not going well afterward. Hang in there I think were all right. Good Luck.

Ed
  • Shortly after fusion surgery, I remember sex being very painful afterwards. I had to take a pain pill before sex to tolerate the pain but then that meant I needed a little extra help with KY. Hubby at first was upset and said, "You have to take drugs just to sleep with me!" Took some explaining, but then he finally understood that the desire was there but I just needed to be comfortable afterwards.

There are many different positions that are easier depending on where your pain is. There are whole websites dedicated to it. My surgeon's office even had a pamphlet with illustrations(he turned bright red when I asked for it but doesn't bother me a bit.)

Definitely mention it to your doctor, but you probably just aggravated things a bit like you thought.

Angie
  • I did the same thing 10 days post fusion with ADR and hardwear. I just had to see if things were working! I recovered the next day and totally understand how you feel about hurting yourself. I felt the same way but I was fine in a day or two. Since you are going to see the doctor, mention it and go from there.
advertisement