Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

? about neurontin

shar51sshar51 Posts: 241
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
Does anyone know how long neurontin stays in your system. I take 1 600mg in the morning and 1 600mg at bedtime. Lately I have noticed around the middle of the day my nerve pain is coming back. I have been on this dose for about 8 months so it might need adjusting.

Sharon
advertisement

Comments

• I don't know how long nuerontin stays in your system, but usually drugs like that are all about maintaining a blood level. I'm no doctor, but it could be that your body is becoming used to it, so it doesn't work as well anymore. Has your doc ever said anything to you about lyrica? Nuerontin only worked for me for about 8 mos. I had to quit taking nuerontin because of side affects, but lyrica has really helped me.
  • I was on Lyrica for quite some time but then my insurance changed and no longer paid for it, $150.00 for a month supply. My doctor told me to try the neurontin, which is covered by my insurance, I really can't tell the difference in the two except now I am having breakthrough pain about mid day.
  • From what I've been told they are different and your doc can tell your insurance co. the nuerontin isn't working. My experience with insurance is that they always want you to take what's cheapest first, but if it doesn't work the more expensive medication can be negotiated. My family doc has always done a good job working with insurance that way. I hope you find something that works. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. For now just try to take it easy and talk with your doc when you can.
  • Is usually 3 times a day so why does your doctor only have you taking it twice a day? Are you also taking something else.
  • That is how the dose has always been with the neurontin. When I was taking Lyrica it was 3x a day. I'm thinking that I do need a dose in the middle of the day. The only other thing I take is Darvocet, I get 60 a month to take as needed. I see the doctor in January so will have to mention this. Thanks for the reply.

Sharon
  • And the makers of the drug will tell your doctor that. I don't understand that. Everything I've read says 3 times a day and I even had my Mother check her prescription just to be sure. So I would definitely ask your doctor why twice a day.
  • Please discuss with your doctor first, before changing your medication regime. It may simply be that your doctors does not understand adequately your pain and thought that twice a day should be fine.

In my case my doctor only prescribed Lyrica twice a day (morning and evening) but when I told him that the nerve pain was way more of an issue at night (as it often is) and that I was having trouble sleeping he doubled the evening dose, which worked wonders.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hi Shar,
    I take neurontin 600mg 3 x a day , and if I am late with a dose (often due to a nap attack!) then I get breakthrough of the zinging nerve pain I take it for, so it doesn`t stay working in my body that long .
    I hope you have a good chat with your prescribing doctor and have the dose changed to cover your mid-day gap. if you get this negotiated , you may find the change over is to be done gradually over a few days. You may experience some dizziness or giddiness during the change over so maybe do it over a weekend when you have nothing planned.
    I have lots of short term memory problems on the dose I am on , but so far the pain relief I receive from Neurontin(Gabapentin) much out ways the side effects.
    Best Wishes Viking :)))
  • Thank you all for the feedback.....at this point after having the nerve pain for going on 2 years a person knows that "gremlin" nerve pain from the others. I give it a name that I think suits it. Like I said it is about mid day when I start having that pain and when I take my evening neurontin it settles down some. I see the doctor this month and I am sure he will increase it and change it to 3x a day........this morning I have that pain that starts in my arm pit and travels down to the elbow....it's a mean little gremlin for sure. Thanks again.

Sharon
advertisement