Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial SCS Approved

Dale002DDale002 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
Well found out today that my insurance company has approved the trial. I hope it works. I have so many areas of pain to cover. I hurt from my head to my feet @ my worst.
At least two or three times a day I feel that way.
Right now I'm taking 80mg of oxicotin,30mg of oxicodene and 300mg of larica for pain and it just takes the edge off, That is if I'm not to active. I hope the SCS can help enough with the pain so that I can get off the drugs. I can't return to my old job if I'm taking any type of narcotic medication.
I get random DOT drug test. If I can't return to this type of work i would have to be retrained at 53.
advertisement

Comments

• I hope it works for you too. Keep us posted of your progress with it. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hope it works for you too. Keep us posted. Way to go, Dale!
  • Hi,
    I had my SCS installed in June of 08 due to radiculopathy on left leg after Failed Back Surgery Syndrome. If your pain is nerve pain or radiculopathy, the SCS will work for you. If your pain is mechanical in nature, I hope that your Doctor and the company rep. already told you that is not going to work.
    Even though I had the SCS installed, I still have to take 40 Mg. of Methadone daily + my Zanaflex's due to my mechanical pain, the nerve pain is great and taken care of by the SCS. I just wanted to let you know........... Good luck with your trial.

• Hi Dale,

Fortunately the SCS process includes the "trial". I say that, because more and more the docs are finding that an SCS can and does help with more than just neuropathic pain. For one thing, the SCS triggers the body's own natural release of endorphins, which that alone helps to fight other types of pain.

The key is, that everyone's situation is different. The only way to know, is to do your own trial and make your own decision.

So let us know how your trial goes. Best of luck!

"C"
  • I hope it works out for you!
  • Greetings Dale and others,

I can share my experience "real-time" as I just had my permanent SCS implant done 12/22. The trial on 11/7 went well and only lasted 3 days for me as I had an excellent results.
    Eliminated all my nerve pain on my left side - none of the conservative treatments worked for me.

I am still sore from the surgery but the stimulator keeps the "nerve pain away." There are a lot of SCS success story posts in this forum - they have been a positive force for me.

Check the forum frequently for updates. There's a wealth of information from those who have been there.

• I am sitting here "buzzing" as I write this. I had my trial put in on Monday 12/29 and I will have it removed on Friday. I am pretty sore from the procedure but I like the results that I am getting and will definately proceed with the permanent one to be put in. Good luck Dale and everyone looking for ways to calm the pain. HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone on this fantastic site!!!!
  • my SCS trial at the end of November and the pain relief was amazing. For 5 days, I had my life back. I could sit, stand, walk, ride in the car.....you name it. (I have permanent S1 nerve damage).

I am scheduled for my permanent placement on Monday, but am currently recovering from a health disaster over the holidays (acute pancreatitis twice, gallbladder removal, 2 hospitalizations for a total of 10 days out of 13, and now covered head to toe in hives. If these hives don't take a hike, I'm sure the procedure will be postponed. My back is one scary, red welt mess right now, but I am feeling tons better, so that is the good news, I guess.)

Congratulations on your approved trial! I hope you have great relief from it!! Keep us posted!

Cheri
advertisement