Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Things were going so good

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So here I am 3 months post op of a PLIF of L5-S1 with hardware and was doing so good. This past Monday I started hurting and it escalated to severe pain and barely able to walk by Tues. morning. I don't have any idea what I have done to bring this on. I got in to see my ns this past Fri., and his opinion is that I have some how aggravated the muscles, but even so he did send me to have some blood drawn, and also had x-rays and an MRI. I am so afraid that it is more then just that. :SS I have been having severe muscle spasms and can barely walk due to the pain. So, I just want to know if anyone has experienced anything like this? I was doing real good, and felt really good. I know that it takes up to a year and longer for everything to heal up good, but this has thrown me for such a loop. :O
If it is just muscles being aggravated, then what am I gonna feel like when I go back to work, and actually am doing something? :??
advertisement

Comments

• I have been reading lots of post on this site and seen lots of people that have had different pain show up at different times. Good to think this way, Dont worry about it till you have something to worry about. You will have answers soon. Dont worry till you know. I am not trying to sound mean. I just know that getting upset will not help your healing either.
  • Are the muscle spasms in your back or legs? If they are in your back, I'd think you've just aggravated things too.

Is your pain only in your back or do you have new nerve pain?
  • Keep in mind that muscle spasms can and will happen for a long time. I'm 2 yrs post op and still get them bad enough to put me down for a while. But, it usually happens after I do something to aggrevate it. Don't get down about it and don't think worse case. I think we've all been there during our recovery.

Give it some time and take it easy.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Just out of curiousity, what were you doing right before the onset?
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • hi hunny,
    sorry your hurting!
    as you know our surgery was around the same time.
    i feel like im back at square 1!! so your not alone in that dept #o mabye overdoing during the holidays?? as like myself did not overdo at all but sure am feeling the after effects and they are not over yet..
    yes your going to have a few steps ahead and a few back..
    also what type of pain is it? sharp, dull, achy, burn?? so many different types. how long does it last??

mine is a deep burn and feels like there is a few bricks laying deep down inside. of course i have spinal pain all the way up.

it was a good idea calling.
    but dont be worried this early in the game. ;)
    stress can also bring on unwanted pain. or just doing some things we think are "normal" but to another is daily living.
    just taking a shower, dressing or even waking up after all night is a killer on me.
    but i noticed when i walked the mall last wk (this is a HUGE MALL) which i was thrilled about i felt better.
    not of course when i got home. almost like i went to the gym.
    not to make this long. i do not feel any different then before surgery at this point.
    i am going to pain managment soon and looking for a used treadmill now that its winter. i think if i get myself on that everyday, keep my waist brace on and start living like im supposed to (drs rules) ;) hopefully things will look up 8>
    this is a long long road darlin!! not for all but for some of us. remember we have odd things screwed into our spine.
    number one that is not your norm for the spine.
    the muscles and nerves take forever to get back to the way they were when we had no back problems.
    if you take into consideration how long alot of us waited before having surgery we did the "baby" thing with our spines so we did not aggravate it anymore then need be.
    so right there at that time is when we all started loosing muscle tone etc.
    so its going to take many many months to get back to that..

you hang in there. i surely hope nothing shows up for your sake!! iv had MRI after MRI and they never changed.
    everything is in place for now...

you rest and take care of you, not the house, other people only muah!! O:)
    love ya!!
    terri
  • I called the ns office today to see if they had the test results yet. The assistant told me that she had just got an email in regards to me just that morning. :SS She said that she couldn't read all of it, but she did read the part where it said that the MRI showed a deep infection with nothing to aspirate, and that I was to keep my appt with dr on Fri, but if I couldn't wait that long that I could get in and see another dr in the office. She didn't say a word about calling in any antibiotics or anything, so I am really confused as to what's going on. I told her that I could move as long as I kept a pain pill and muscle relaxer in me at least every 8 hrs. I called back later in the day and left a message for them to call me as I had questions, but did not hear back from them today.
    The pain isn't quite as severe as earlier but like I said as long as I keep meds in me I can at least function. The pain is not onlyin my back it's also my hips and down into left leg.
  • Glor,
    I am so sorry to hear about your set back. Wait to worry until you know exactly what the problem is. Take it from someone who worries. I ended up in the hospital this past weekend with a blood clot and embolisms in my lungs, and I had the L5/S1 fusion done just 7 weeks ago, was doing pretty well at 7 weeks, felt like I was on the road back, but I am now on Coumadin and Lovenox shots, so I know first hand how difficult it is to have complications like these when you finally feel like you have gotten somewhere. From what I know, maybe it's good that you haven't had the fever and chills--perhaps the infection is really small and controllable with simple antibiotics. We go through so much and then to have this happen is so hard.

This too will pass...

Chuck
  • I would call to get one of the other Docs to look at it and see if it's necessary to get treatment since it was an urgent MRI. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I still haven't heard anything from my ns office, in regards to the message I left them about having questions. Chuck, actually I did have a fever on Tuesday night. I was laying on the bed when I started shivering so bad my teeth were rattling and I was actually laying on a heating pad at the time. The first time I took my temp it was 101.2, of course I didn't know if maybe I had a touch of a bug or something. Later that night it got up to 102.6 and I passed out one time when I got up to go to the bathroom, but that was the only time I ran a temp. I've done a little research on the internet and so far what I've found is not real surprising and also rather disheartening. I will have more info after my dr. appt on Fri. afternoon, so I will pass it along to ya'll then. Thanks for all the support.
advertisement