Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg swelling?

lstellerllsteller Posts: 1,428
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Most of you know my saga (or can read about most of it in my signature below). It's been about 5 weeks since I was released from the hospital. I've been getting up and walking with cane, doing light PT, and things have been going okay. I often feel, when I wake up in the morning, like my hands and feet are a bit puffy, but that seems to dissipate quickly. Today, however, I got up, had my coffee, farted around the house a bit, before getting into the shower. As I stepped into the shower, I noticed that my left foot is fairly swollen down by the toes, and then I noticed that the ankle is swollen. After getting out of the shower, I looked in the full-length mirror and can tell that my left leg is, in fact, more swollen than my right. You know when you're not getting much exercise, your muscles get kind of flabby? I sometimes lie on my back doing my stretches and slap the flabby calf muscles on my legs. Well, the right one is flabby -- the left is now fairly firm because it is swollen. Is this cause for concern? Should I call the doc, or is this just another result of lying around not doing much? I do try to walk a bit each day to keep up balance, prevent blood clots, and maintain a bit of muscle tone until I can really exercise, but this kind of freaks me out. Has this happened to anyone else?

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
advertisement

Comments

• I would for sure check with your PCP.

I have a simular situation. I am 64 years old, on heart meds, and overweight. My Dr prescribed support stockings (up to the knee) and walking.

Take care.

Harry
  • Swelling could be sign of a blood clot. I think u should call your doc right away.

• It could be your meds as well. I don't know what medication that you are on, but I was just put on Lyrica and was told that one possible side effect could be swelling in my feet and legs. They told me to contact them if this happened. I hope that you get a quick resolution of your problem. >:D<
  • Please check out my story on "Very Bad Weekend." You may have a blood clot that could kill you. If you have a blood clot it is MUCH WORSE then mine was--and I was in the hospital for several days and developed pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in the lungs). I KNOW it is a pain--but get yourself there fast. I bet it turns out to be surgery related--but you have to be sure--the scan they do on your leg is painless and quick.

Chuck
  • I had back surgery back in Jan 2006 had 2 surgeries cause they were 9 hour surgeries couldn't do it all at once,ever since then my left leg has swollen very big I have told my back doctor my leg has never done that ever before the back surgery but he is blaming it on it was going to happen anyway and it was just weird it happened at the same time can anyone help me.I can't take water pills cause for 1 the surgeries did something to my bladder and going more than I ever have in my life and the pill makes me go so much more....
  • I had my surgery on May 12, 2009. I was involved in a very horrific car accident. The body is an amazing thing. We learn to dapt and compensate for pain until we can't handle it any more. Well, even though my doctor who did the surgery says that my back was healing very well. I had several doctors appointment and a busy schedule with that all in itself. Well shortly after my fusion of L-3, L-4, L-5, S-1 I woke up with a swollen leg. Not just a little, it was twice i not three times the size of my right. I try to walk every day. But now that my Doctor appointments have come to a hault, my belly, my right leg and my left, my face my hands. It seems like everything is swellen up. The other day I made a joke cause I ad clear liquid leaking out of a scratch on my leg. This is called Edema, which is the retention of body fluids in one area. Well, the surgery was not a complete success. I hve more pain now than I have ever had in my life. So many peope have told me the same thing.Well I tried to make light of it and decided that we are not all alike in how we heal from surgeries and stuff. The one thing I was never warned about was this swelling. My range ofmotion is just not there and have no clue if it will come back, I sure hope so, cause I would really like to see my grandchildren and beble to walk along without hurting. My leg is so stretched that it hurts to the touch. I am sorry that their are others going through this same pain as I am.

I try really hard to move but when there is that much in one leg you start waddling around, my mom made reference to a duck ad I said heck with the duck I feel like a penguin. LOL Other thn being active, which relly do try to do, is there aything else I can do? Would love to hear from anyone else going through this too.
advertisement