Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vitamin C before Surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My NS had me go for a asoribic acid blood test then told me to start Vitamin C (1000mg) 2-3 times a day before surgery. Has anyone else gotten this advice? My surgery is sched for Jan 30th.
advertisement

Comments

• Function

Vitamin C is required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is necessary to form collagen, an important protein used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is essential for the healing of wounds, and for the repair and maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth.

Vitamin C is one of many antioxidants. Vitamin E and beta-carotene are two other well-known antioxidants. Antioxidants are nutrients that block some of the damage caused by free radicals, which are by-products that result when our bodies transform food into energy.

The build up of these by-products over time is largely responsible for the aging process and can contribute to the development of various health conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and a host of inflammatory conditions like arthritis. Antioxidants also help reduce the damage to the body caused by toxic chemicals and pollutants such as cigarette smoke.

Ok well that makes sense, i am a smoker (not for much longer) hopefully, and he told me that with every ciggarette I spoke it draws out the vitamin c.

• I have been put on Vitamin C 500mg 3x day and was told to avoid carbonated =drinks because she believes that the carbonation remove calcium from you body.

• I don't know if it helps, but a 500mg Vitamin C tablet is one of my daily vitamins...and I'm doublng up on them this week with my operation coming up...I can't see it hurting
  • He told me to take 1000mg 2-3 times a day with a meal :) are there any side effects to the vitamin?
  • One Hot Tamale said:
    He told me to take 1000mg 2-3 times a day with a meal :) are there any side effects to the vitamin?
    I am ABSOLUTELY the last person to comment on this...but to me, 3000mg of vitamin C sounds like a lot...but maybe not under certain circumstances

somebody?
  • The way I understand it, if you take more vitamin C than your body can absorb, you just pee out the rest. I would check with the surgeon regarding the vitamin E. I had to stop taking it together with aspirin 10 days before my surgery, as both can inhibit blood clothing.

Kin
  • Kin is right, vitamin E can cause bleeding problems. Specifically listed on my surgery list and for two different docs who have given me epidurals.

Don't know what the max vitamin C dose is, but yes, you can have too much. One time had a woman who took large doses(don't remember how much) when she was pregnant. When she abruptly stopped after delivery, both she and the baby developed scurvy. If you don't know what scurvy is, it's why English sailors were called limeys. They knew that citrus fruits helped prevent their teeth from falling out and their gums from bleeding and rotting. So, the mother and the baby had become used to an elevated level of C and when abruptly withdrawn, it caused scurvy.
  • The NS advised me to take the C after the asorbic acid blood test. He told me to take the 1000mg 2-3 times a day. I am taking it twice a day. That is the only suppl I take besides fish oil. I just really want to be in the best health possible before the surgery on 01/30.
  • Before my back surgery my surgeon said to stop taking garlic tablets because it thins the blood. I'm takeing vit.
    C on my own and it's 1000 mgs once a day. Always ask your own doctor for advise!! :H

Evelyn :)))
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Does your doc know you're taking fish oil?
  • He knows about the fish oil, but im not the most responsible when it comes to taking it on a daily basis. I was on a multi vitamin, b12, fish oil on a daily basis when i had my inital consult with him, but i havent been taking them since. I have been, however taking the vitamin c religiously everyday. I will be having my discogram on monday and will see him later in the week, i assume he will tell me how to prep, and what to stop prior to surgery. I might not be good at taking my vitamins on a regular basis, but i am darn good at following docs orders to a tee :)
  • scinmyheart said:
    One Hot Tamale said:
    He told me to take 1000mg 2-3 times a day with a meal :) are there any side effects to the vitamin?

I am ABSOLUTELY the last person to comment on this...but to me, 3000mg of vitamin C sounds like a lot...but maybe not under certain circumstances

somebody?
    the only reason i can think of is that I am a smoker.
  • Good luck with your discogram. While the test hurts a bit, it is very helpful in figuring out your specific pain generators. Good luck!
  • Thanks ernurse, I kinda figured that the pain from the test couldnt be any worse then the pain I experience on my worst days. Today begins a new year AND a new attitude. Ive begun to learn that a positive attitude is a solid foundation for a good experience and outcome/recovery. Im still nervous and I see from others who post that feeling that way is pretty normal. I will practice what I preach and wake up every morning with a positive attitude... and leave it all in Gods hands O:)
advertisement