Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Neuro wont see me !

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi.
I had an appt. yesterday with a new neuro(I did see him once before). At that visit they discovered metal fragments in my back from a prior surgery.Thsi doctor referred me to Albany Medical center. He wanted a Neuro group there to evaluate.
I went there but was told all the Doc's were in surgery and they'd call me for a follow up appt.,well, they never did. As time passed, I made an appt. w/this neuro again(yesterday).he will not even speak to me. He sent his secretary out to tell me that because of the fragments,I need to see these other guys. What is going on here.....? Seems like this doctor is scared to get involved with my situation. I asked the original surgeon who OBVIOUSLY left the fragments in there, why? How did this happen? His response was "I dont know, I didnt leave a needle in there" In discussing this situation with people, some say these fragment could move and possibly pierce the heart.....is that possible? I'm starting to bug out....any comments?
Thanks
Paul

3 Level ACDF C3-6 2-12-08,cord decompression,partial corpectomey,Skyline plate ,8 screws.
Broken lumbar drain,1 exploratory back surgery to locate,,,,,2nd back surgery to finally remove tip of drain.
Foot numbness,blown L5 squeezing S-1 nerve.Micro'd considered.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi

If you can't get anything done on your own sounds like you need a lawyer to call the Dr.

Harry
  • Harry - I think you and I are thinking the same thing - medical malpractice. However, I don't believe having an attorney call the doctor at this point is advisable. Yes, perhaps for Paul to talk with an attorney, but not go beyond that at this time. Just my thoughts.

Paul - Sorry to read about what you are going through. Not good to say the least.

From what I have read on various health forums, etc., when a doctor screws up, it is difficult to find another doctor who will want to get his "name" into the screw up. I know, that is most unfortunate and not right.

May I suggest that on your own you seek out the best neurosurgeon you can find. Make an appointment. All you need to do is say that you have a back problem and would like to get the NS's advice.

It is when you see the NS that in the course of conversation you can bring up the "metal fragment" issue in discussing your past surgery. I hope this makes sense.

I wish you the very best. Do let us know how things go for you.

RichT

• Thanks guys....I have talked to a number of atty's Re: this insanity. The problem is that there is not substantial enough damage to warrant a case. Let me back up a sec.......there wasn't prior to the discovery of these fragments. There may have been,however in aug 08 I blew out the L-5 all EMG studies indicate that prior to this blowout there was really no significant damage to the nerves. Although I did complain right after the ACDF and subsequent back surgeries,of numbness.Since the l-5 blowout EMG studies indicate this disc is causing the problem.

However again.......all prior to the discovery of these frag's. We'll see !!
  • And how are you doing on other issue?
    just checking..
    j
  • Did you call the Albany Clinic again? Or get your PCP to call for a referral? I hope you get another Neurosurgeon to follw up with you. I wish you all the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was not thinking lawsuit .... yet.

I was thinking the lawyer could put some pressure on the Dr to get off his butt and treat the patient instead of playing ring around the rosie.

A friend on mines wife had a brain tumor and got an operation. Soon after her eye started crossing and she needed a 2nd operation. Insurance said they would only allowed one operation. With one phone call from the couples attorney insurance decided to approve the 2nd operation.

Let us know how you do.

Harry
  • is different from what you guys are thinking. Don't assume malpractice has already occured (hardware moves, we have all signed consent that it happens on our pre-op consent form, not always a surgeon's fault), I was assume from what you are saying that he felt you are a "high-risk case" and either he doesn't want to assume care & responsibility for you because he thinks something could easily go wrong (I do know of a case of hardware that embedded in a major blood vessel didn't cause a problem until they tried to remove it); or that he feels there is somebody else in the area that has more experience and his better else qualified with "miscellaneous foreign bodies where they are not supposed to be" , in which case kudos to his for knowing him limits. Some surgeons just want the easy cut & dry boring cases, others thrive on the challenging cases.
  • but I have been told that the Mayo Clinic or other very specialized NS who fix other NS's botched jobs are available and may be the place to go when other doctors don't know what they can do to help. It's worth exploring these options. Of course there are no guarantees but you shoudl not have to live with pieces of metal floating around your body. I wish you luck in your search. That is what it has become.
  • Thanks for asking....pretty well. 18 days today !
  • Thanks Charry. I will be following up w/ Alb Med. Hopefully soon

Paul
  • Kudos to you! I know it's got to be difficult, but keep up the good work! It will certainly help things go better for you if you can show another surgeon that you are really working on this!
  • Paul,
    Let me first start out by saying that I am proud of you doing so well =D> with the other thing even under all this extra stress. I hope this New Year brings you better luck than 2008 and you are always in my prayers. I was thinking about you that last couple of days but couldn't check in on you because of computer problems. I imagine this sudden drop in temp isn't helping either. It's warm one day and below freezing the next. Gotta love NY. [(

Keep your chin up and keep pushing for a doc to help you. I am so sorry to hear that you are still going through all this trouble finding a doc to help you.
  • Michelle,
    Thank You. I will persevere.

Paul
  • but if the rod and screw that attached c5 to c6 that was visible on the MRI of may 2007 and that was not visible in sept of 2008 has come loose how big is the rod and where could it go ....i feel like i am loosing my mind

nancy in canada

and i think it is very hard to sue in canada
advertisement