Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HAPPY NEW YEAR & what kind of bed do you sleep in & 3 month checks.

natural scientistnnatural scientist Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Seen as the NZders get the new day sun first I thought I would send the greatings, we are celebrating by finishing unpacking in the new house before the kids get home from their week away.

I am going for my three month check in 2 weeks. How has everyone recovery been, what should I usually expect at this check up.

I am interested in what kind of beds everyone sleeps in? we just purchased a bed yeasterday (big purchase I could have brought a nce car for the same price)
The $300 matteres we have been sleeping on has been bad }:) on the back. We have invested in the latex foam and intelligel from sleepmaker. It is meant to be good for proper spine allignment and releving pressure points amongst many other benefits. It claims a 30% increase in energy the next morning. I am really looking foward to sleeping on it.

So what kind of bed do you pick to sleep on?

PS I found a price list of the hardware used in back surgeries and for a single level surgery we have about $6000-$8000 dollars worth of equipment in there.....Wow

Have a good night everyone and welcome to 2009....time is flying it still feels like the year 2000.
advertisement

Comments

• I have a Sterns & Foster set, and then I bought a mattress topper (4") that really made a big difference.

At the 3 month mark, they may be able to detect some fusion. I was also taken off BLT restrictions at about that time. I was also allowed to discontinue using the brace I was in. Oops! All this was at my 4-month mark, not 3.

Hope you enjoy your new bed...I guess you could tell people you're sleeping in your new car! lol

Happy New Year!
  • Happy New Year to you, too.

I bought this really firm, expensive, mattress in my effort to avoid surgery 2 years ago(ha.) I wish we hadn't. Hubby and I slept all night on a memory foam mattress in a hotel a few months ago and it was the best sleep I've had since before fusion.

Just wish there were real scientific studies on it, maybe I could convince insurance to pay for it then! :)
  • Waterbed since I was 10 years old....but it needs to have just the right level of water in it. If I'm camping (or overnight rafting), it's an air mattress preferably with a 2" foam topper. Rafting is like car camping...you can bring most anything. I haven't been able to go backpacking and sleep on a "thermarest" type mattress since college, thanks to my L4/L5 fracture. My parent's memory foam topper is the next best thing to my waterbed.
  • Happy New Year!! :)))

We have a TempurPedic memory foam mattress with TempurPedic pillows. It provides great support. I am 4 months post-op and still use a pillow under my knees.

Even before my surgery, it made a huge difference in comfort as compared to our old Stearns & Foster mattress.

However, the space in the bed allows me to flip around, which I'm sure causes some twisting resulting in pain. So, after a middle of the night potty break, I switch to our couch, which is 3-4 years old and has nice cushions.

I think the comfort of a bed is an individual thing. My recommendation is to go to several stores and try out different mattresses. We tried out at least 6 different mattresses, spending 30-60 minutes on each one. The TempurPedic we got was the Deluxe model. Other models were either too firm or soft.

Having received statements for my surgery, I have seen the "retail" costs of the hardware and it is simply amazing. I'm sure it is overpriced, but a lot of the cost probably goes to cover research and trial costs.
  • I wonder what the bed has in it to give you a 30% increase of energy? Those are interesting facts about the cost of metal for spine surgeries. I hope your 3 month mark check up goes well and I haven't had surgery so can't help you there but I'm sure someone will be along to help you. Happy New Year to You and Yours!
    Charry
    PS I bought a Memory foam right from the wholesaler and for about 3 months now I just love it.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • After several beds in the last 10 years we purchased a memory foam high-end mattress and I love it! It is the only bed I can sleep in comfortably. Since my 360 fusion it is the only bed I can sleep in and wake up pain free. I recently spent a night at a motel without memory foam and I paid the price. I had a hard time getting comfortable and woke up sore. I know I am only 6 weeks post-op but my bed is the best! I can even sleep on my stomach without any problems, now that's what I call a 30 percent energy increase.
  • May 2009 bring us all painfree days and nights, peace of mind, and much happiness!

Thanks to the advice of this board, I was finally able to get my bed all comfy == I have a 4 inch memory foam (1/2 is actually the memory foam, the other half is regular foam) from Walmart. I put it on my bed after also placing a piece of plywood under the mattress. Finally I can wake up pain free. I still have never slept through the whole night since my surgery, but at least I can sleep for several hours at a time.

I'm at my 4 month mark on Jan. 5. Things are going pretty well -- I get dull pain in my lower back after sitting for awhile, and my right leg/toe still has that numbness, but thank God I am able to walk and have a relatively normal life.

Cheers! <:P Happy New Year my friends!

Haylie
  • Happy 2009 to everyone!! <:P
    I hope this year brings alot of pain free backs to all!
    I don't have to go till my 4th month which of course is sometime this month when I get on the phone xoxox
    I still am suffering with a very deep ache , burn as I had before revision surgery. So I am not any better. But I have a whole year to find out if it worked. I lived with that pain all last yr during recovery of the 1st surgery. Will I always have it?? Possible. I think once back surgery for some there is no going back for sure. Some feel awesome cause their symptoms were so bad to begin with as in tingling numbness sharp pain etc.
    This spondy is tricky....
    But don't go by me as I have a disk out all the way down. Can't a girl have one good spot :? O:)

As for mattresses thats tricky. Its hard buying something in a store and not sleeping on it all night first.
    I do have to find out what the mattresses are at the hotel we stay at. OH MY HEAVEN. They are really high I know that and you can sleep allllllllll day!!
    We also have the walmart topper the same as Haylie and I just got another down alternative feather bed to look like princess and the pea! I do sleep all night but still awake in awful pain. I also due to my recent surgery still have to sleep on my back all night.
    Now last night was not as bad I kept my therma care heat wrap on from going out and the deep ache was not as bad. Wish they were not so expensive for 2 in a box I would keep them on 7 days a week 24 hrs a day!! <:P <:P <:P
    So its a catch 22. Is it the mattress or the surgery itself :? :?
    Guess I will never ever know till I am fully healed.
    And dang the screws in my back not sure how much they cost I never got a breakdown of the bill. I don't care how much they are its still screwed into your spine and it hurts #o #o Good thing is they are titanum and you do not go off in security!! =))
    But as you see you got great responses!!
    Everyone enjoy their holiday! We are off to the mall w/ gift cards and to see Marley and Me!! YIPPEEEE!! :D

Lots of love!
    Terri
  • I made a mistake when taking a nap yesterday. I went to bed and did not use a pillow under my knees. It was not a good nap, and I was in severe pain when I got up 45 minutes later. The pain lasted approximately 2 hours.

When I use a pillow under my knees, our mattress is great and the only problem I have is from flipping around.

I think this is a reminder that, even when we are feeling better, a pillow under the knees is necessary when laying down to take pressure off our spines and keep it in a better, more relaxed position.
  • I bought a new bed in October '08 a Sleep Number. I have been very happy with it, I do sleep fairly well, better than I did in our Waterbed that we had for 21 years. Although I do miss the warm mattress of the Waterbed.
    Happy New Year!!!
  • We lay on the TempurPedic, what an interesting feel. My only concern was the sales lady said that the mattress stops you from moving in your sleep due to it molding around your body. Reading info from the other types of mattress thay said that moving easily was the best way to sleep because the body it not meant to get all stiff and stuck in one place. (It is fustrating to always get conflicting knowledge in all aspects of living). My feelings on energy and how the body works, I think we should be moving in our sleep. My sore back left me waking in the morning feeling like I was a solid concret block having difficulty breathing, I hated that. Do not get it so much / if all now.
    I do really like the TempurPedic pillows I will invest after I get over the shock of the bed purchase.

After all the science that goes into a bed and you end up on the couch what does that say?

• Happy New Year to All! <:P
    My husband and I purchased a sleep number bed a few years ago and we love it. It takes a while to find the setting that is comfortable for you but when you do you know it. If our little granddaughter gets a hold of the remote and changes our settings we definately know it. :))(
    I am actually a little past my three month mark and I've just hit another snag in my road to recovery. I just found out that I have a deep infection in my back, so now I've got to deal with that, I don't know as of yet what the course of treatment will be, I will find that out tomorrow.
advertisement