Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bivalve Brace Experience

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I've been in my Bivalve Brace otherwise known as my
"Turtle Shell" and while it is cumbersome, and depending on the day depressing to wear, it has allowed me to walk for more than 10 minutes sans the pain. I am working on being positive as this condition was total surprise for me. The pain does return when I take it off in the evening though so far is has not been as intense as it was before the I got the brace. I have some soreness in the shoulder blade area and about 3 inches below the waist I guess beacause that area is not use to having something against it. I'm sure that will pass, and the fellow who fit me with says? soon I will be at a point where I won't want to be without it. Clothes has been a challenge, but I will persue what works and what doesn't by trial and error, I must say for the most part the orthotic fellow is right you can't really hide it unless you are content with wearing very large clothes. I'm walking painlessly, in fact I washed my car the other day! Yahoo.
My only concern is, will I be doing more damage to the nerve in my legs putting surgery off?
Hope this helps someone out there.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! ;)
advertisement

Comments

• :Hi! What is it and where did you get it?
  • Hi Grannyoma, my neurosurgeon hooked me up with a man who does orthotics, legs, arms everything. So you will need a prescription. He made a cast of my body from the sternum to the thigh, cut it off and did the mold in hard plastic lined with about a quarter inch of foam padding. It is held on with velcro straps and goes from the solarplexus to the pubic bone in front and from the upper back to about 3 inches below the waist. It works great, as I could not walk for more than ten minutes without sitting down the pain was so bad.
    If you need one I wish you well it is fantastic after you get over the inital look of it. This fellow also did my Somi Brace after my cervical neck corepectomy in 2000 which was also a life saver. My friend had the same corepectomy and wore a soft brace and she is in a wheelchair.
    Stay in touch,
    Ellen