Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i need Help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey my name is casey quade and i have been having extreme pain in my back for about 5 years now. I am only 20 years old. the pain is kinda by my tailbone and i am getting numbing into my butt. I just had a bone scan and an mri done. my doctor said that there was nothing wrong. i am having a hard time beleiving this because right now i am on oxycodone and I am still in very bad pain. Please help thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• cquade said:
    Hey my name is casey quade and i have been having extreme pain in my back for about 5 years now. I am only 20 years old. the pain is kinda by my tailbone and i am getting numbing into my butt. I just had a bone scan and an mri done. my doctor said that there was nothing wrong. i am having a hard time beleiving this because right now i am on oxycodone and I am still in very bad pain. Please help thanks.
    Dear Casey,
    I would get a second opinion. Also who is giving you Oxycodone? That is terribly addictive and in fact, it can make the pain worse because it masks the pain and you tend to reinjure yourself. Have you thought about acupuncture? My husband had bad sciatica and acupuncture relieved it after two visits! It was like a miracle.
    Also, I am told many problems don't show on MRI's as they might on an x-ray. I would see someone versed in the area of neurosurgery/orthopedics. Some doctos feel you are just pill seeking. They want to get rid of you when you say pain medication. They are worried about addiction.
    Good luck to you. You are so young to have such issues.
    Pilates and or Yoga can also be helpful. :)))
  • thanks ya my orthopedic gave me those pain killers but i think i am going to try a neurosurgen.
  • need further testing? Some things will not show with MRI or xrays. I have pain in my tailbone but I was born with L5 fused to S1 and have other issues with my lower back. I was diagnosed with an annular tare but only with the use of a discogram was a diagnosis made for that. Don't get discouraged. Keep trying different docs until you find the one that can and will help you. Most of us have been through the same thing that you have as far as getting a diagnosis. Persistence is the key. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    BTW- Have you tried ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off in the tailbone area? I get some relief from this.
  • I agree with the others, it seems quite odd that someone would give you oxy if you had nothing wrong? Thats quite a potent drug. I would definatley get another opinion, or two. What did the MRI report say? Did you see the report or did the doctor just tell you nothing was wrong?

I would get copies of your films if possible, and the report and take it to another doctor.

I have had pain since i was about 14 but it took them years to even give me an MRI or diagnosis me because of my young age. I would definatley make sure you get copies of your films. I just recently saw an orthopedic surgeon who gave me an xray since my MRI was 3 years old and he told me by the xray nothing had changed since the last MRI. Well...i kept hounding him to give me another MRI and he did. I just got it done and LOTS has changed. SO..sometimes you have to be your own doctor which is sad but dont give up. If your body is telling you something is wrong, keep trying until you find someone who will listen and not just give you meds to deal with you.

good luck
    :)
  • I'm so sorry to hear you're having this pain for so long at your age. I think more testing is a great idea, for example a ct/myelogram. It can catch conditions the MRI can miss. One problem with the MRI is that it's done when you are lying down. With the ct/myelogram, dye is injected and they roll you around and tip the table to coat the epidural space (sorry if I'm wrong, techies ;) )Then they do a ct right after. Sometimes MRI's can be inconclusive.
    Don't give up, get second opinions if you have too. There is an explanation for this. I'm glad that your otho is giving you Oxy for your pain, a lot of people go around suffering and get nothing til the problem is found. Take care, and we're happy to have you onboard :H
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.