Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New injury and many questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone and thanks ahead of time. Reading through these posts makes me feel like I hit a goldmine. I fell at work in mid December. My problem is that the first few weeks were mass confusion from my work clinic. They sent me for an MRI and found the stuff I listed below, they then sent me to a sports doctor who specialized in shoulders. He prescribed therapy and before I could start the clinic doctor found a neurosurgeon who I will see on the 13th of Jan. I'm in limbo and I have no idea what to expect or what my future is. I have a very physical job with a high injury rate. I've made it 28 years without anything substantial until now. My neck pain is in the C6 area and it is intense most of the time. When I was in the shower on Christmas Eve I was rinsing the shampoo out of my hair and for the next five hours I sat in the recliner where on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being go to the hospital, I was an 11. Wow, I have so much sympathy for all of you. My left arm has a dull ache and it tingles all the time. My neck hurts down through my should blade most of the time but it can hurt so much I don't know where it all is. Anyone have any advice? Any have a prognosis? I can't work with any restrictions what so ever with my job, it's all or nothing. Will I be able to work with this type of injury and if I get the surgery will I be able to do a hard physical job especially with C3-C4 bulging? Any comments, advice or anything would be nice. Thanks again ahead of time and good luck to all of you. Paul
advertisement

Comments

• None of us here are medical doctors so we can't answer your questions about a prognosis. My advise is to keep a daily journal and note any activity or situation that makes your pain better or worse. This can help your surgeon better understand what you're going through.

I can't imagine that they would even think to begin to treat your shoulder without first addressing your cervical problems.

Has anyone put you on a pain reliver of any kind? If not, and since you state that your pain levels have hit a 10, I would at least visit your primary care doc and have him/her prescribe something so that you can get by day to day without so much pain.

Keep in touch and let us know how you getting along.

Griff
  • I don't have cervical issues, but did fall last February and has a spinal compression fracture. That pain was unique and piercing, quite different than previous back pain or even the 24/7 burning nerve pain I have with my permanent S1 nerve damage. I pray that your fracture pain will lessen soon for you. It really is a sharp, terrible pain. I also hope you get answers from the neurosurgeon so you know what to expect. I'm sorry you have to be on this road right now.

( ( HUGS) )

Cheri
  • i wouldn't know where to go with all of that.I hope that you have strong pain meds.Sounds like your in for a long year of recovery ahead.good luck
  • Paul, I don't understand the not working at all with work restrictions. If you have such a physical job with high injury rate..they must have some procedure for work related accidents. Do you get disability? Can they provide a less physical position. Just some questions for you.
    As far as prognosis, etc. again, we can't give you any of that information but can share our stories. PT helped me for 4 years with cervical herniation at c5-6 but I also was able to get help from my workplace in not lifting much or reaching much. I did have to finally get surgery and still am very restricted in my abilities. That may not be what you want to hear but I would hope that your workplace would work "with" you in this situation.

Good luck
  • I have cervical issues too. I would use my Family doctor to guide you through the process, and have that discussion. They are a key element to your recovery. Medication can help with the pain. I have had problems with my neck for 1.5 years, and was advised to approach cautiously and not to jump into the surgical route without trying some different modalities. I used Physical Therapy including laser, ultra sound, tens, water therapy, massage, otheopath, Occupational Therapy, and Psychology. I continue using some of these services, which at least help me cope with the pain. I tried to work, and was taken off when the pain got so bad that I couldn't lift my arm. Like you my job is very physical. I had always hoped it would just go..go away. It hasn't so only now am I going seriously the surgical route. In my heart I can say I did everything, but worry that waiting could have made it worse. There is no true way of knowing. Best wishes.
advertisement