Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Weeks to go till ACDF time

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I'm about 2 weeks from having a cervical disc fusion and I think I'm still somewhat in denial. I decided to wait until the Holidays were over to start concentrating on having the surgery, and now that it is the New Year, I guess it's time to start the countdown. :jawdrop: I think the two biggest worries are the waiting and the unknown. :SS I think when you have to do something so BIG, you would like to have some assurance and reassurance that everything will turn out OK. Anyone out there whose had an ACDF and would like to share their success stories, would be greatly appreciated. I need some positive reinforcement right now. :D

I just hope that everything will be better and not worse once this whole thing is over with. I don't want to end up wishing I had waited, or regretting my own personal choice to have this done. It's one thing to be injured and forced to have surgery, it's another thing all together to make the choice to go ahead with it knowing you could have put if off until the bitter end. I'm hoping that by having my surgery now before it gets to the absolute worst, that I will be preventing permanent, irreversible damage, and will actually give my body the chance at a better more successful healing. Sorry to go on and on, but it makes me feel better to vent my worries. :S
advertisement

Comments

• I had c5/6 ACDF in March '08 and it has been successful. I have no neck pain, no upper back or shoulder pain and no numbness and tingling down my arms or fingers. It was a total success.
    I would recommend finding the post about things to have/take to surgery. I was only in the hospital overnight. Of course, that was a long night, I was just uncomfortable. About 2am I just wanted to stand up, the nurse came in and let me stand beside the bed. My surgery was at 7am and I got to my room about 4pm. I was had a pain pump and could push the button anytime I needed. The next morning they took the pain pump and I was taking pills for pain. That way I went home about 4pm.
    At home, I rested the first couple of weeks a lot and then started moving around quit a bit. I went back to work part-time at 6weeks post-op and full time around 9-10 weeks. I still got tired very easy and when I got home from work just took it easy.
    I had some pain into July and the doc recommended a Myleogram to make sure I did not have a pinched nerve but everything was good. Pain went away within the next month and I have not had any cervical problems to date.
    I hope this helps. If you think of anything you would like to ask just PM and I will be glad to answer. Please let us know how you are doing, take care.

Stacey
  • It was back in Oct. after I got hit by a semi. Believe me when I say I was terrified! I unlike many here had not experienced any pain prior to my wreck so my symptoms were short lived. I started dropping things and was becoming paralyzed on my left side and I was scared out of my wits right up until the time they rolled me down for surgery. I even thought about running out of the hospital but they started the IV as soon as I got there and I was afraid to take it out myself. :) I only had TRUE pain for about a week after surgery but was up and about the next day. I spent one night in the hospital because I needed better pain meds than I could get at home. Oh some of my other symptoms were tingling in my left hand and leg and I was walking into walls and feeling like I was falling out of chairs. Immediately after surgery all of my symptoms were gone. Even the nerve pain which was a blessing. I worked from home for about 7 weeks and then went back to the office. I didn't wear a collar so I could move my neck the day after surgery. The only thing I'm dealing with now from my surgery is back spasms that seem to have made themselves at home. But I recently had my meds changed so I hope this gets rid of them once and for all. I promise you you will feel so much better on the other side of this. You'll be posting about how it really wasn't that bad. Just make sure you LOVEEEE your doctor because he will be like your next best friend for quite a while afterward. Oh and load your house up with soft food before your surgery. The sore throat stuck around with me for about a week. And cream savers are great to suck on too while your throat is sore. And ice cream. Sorry I just keep thinking of things that you might want to have around afterward. Oh and soft pillows. Lots of them. Oh and help around the house because you are not going to be allowed to lift anything heavy. That's all I can thing of for now but I'm sure I'll think of something else. And if you think your post was long you should go read some of mine. :D
  • . . . as heck prior to my surgery, and one of my first posts on the Board was about cancelling the surgery. I'm glad I didn't.

I had a 2-level . . . could've gone home the same day but opted to stay overnight because my Mom is a frail 70 pounds 70 year old woman, and I didn't want to burden her that first night. I was "uncomfortable" post-surgery -- but never in any real pain. I was up walking within a few hours after surgery. The ride home from the hospital wasn't so great -- every bump felt like my neck was jarred. Once home and in bed, I slept a lot for a few days.

I still have throat issues . . . 7 weeks post-surgery. It doesn't hurt, it's just a nuisance.

Hope that your surgery goes well. What's the exact date?
  • My surgery is next week on Jan. 15th. I'm trying not to think about it too much, however, since I elected what date to have the surgery, it makes you think to yourself, I can't believe I actually chose to have this done instead of waiting until it became an emergency setting. But, I know it is better to plan for this surgery, but there is a little tiny voice inside my head yelling, "ARE YOU NUTS???" 8}

It was good to know about riding in a car post-op, because we live on a long rough dirt road with lots of bumps, and I've been wondering how that is going to work out for me. I guess if worse comes to worse, I might have to get out of the car on the bumpiest parts and walk a little ways....that is if I'm able to walk without help...Maybe I'll have to lay my seat back to help. This is going to be interesting, to say the least. :SS Thanks for your words of encouragement and wish me luck and lots of blessings. O:)
  • I had my lvl 2 acdf on Mon Jan 5, spent 1 night in hospital. Slept MUCH of Tue, Wed, Thur. Today my mother took me to lunch and to pickup a couple of things at mall and grocery. I'm going to be very careful not to overdo -- but like many others -- no shoulder, arm, hand or finger pain immediately after surgery. Have some lingering finger numbness that may not ever go away, and I can tell when I am overdoing it and my neck starts to hurt.

I started walking Thurs and am determined to recover fully, the right way to avoid problems later.

I may eat my words later, but... so far, so good.

I've previously had hysterectomy, thyroidectomy, ankle reconstruction and arthroscopic knee surgery + 2 trigger "thumbs" operated on. And I was darn SCARED about this surgery. Already can't wait to lose the neck braces... but so far, really really OK.

So -- let's both hope for success, health, and a full recovery!!
  • What a reassuring outcome you have had. Im going in for a 2 level fusion on the 30th and like everyone else awaiting their surgery date, i am very scared, more anxious really. I am comforted by experiences like your yours with such a good outcome.. I hope the same for myself and all those going in this month >:D<
advertisement