Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Slipped and fell on ice yesturday and 6mo post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone my name is Mariah. I am getting an ESI in a week and half for a re-herniation 6 mo post op and epidural fibrosis. Now I don't know how that's all going to be affected after my slip and fall yesturday. Has anybody here ever slipped and fallen after a back surgery or ever been forced to return to work even though you 're-injured?

At about 6:30am my boyfriend and I were on our way to breakfast and stopped at a store to see what time it opened. He got out to check the store hours and slipped and fell. I rushed out of the car to him and then I went down while walking up to him. I landed flat on my back( upper and lower ) and my buttock. About an hour and a half I was sore all over and stiff even while laying. It's been 6 months since my surgery. For about three months after my surgery the soreness and swelling of my back actually prevented me from making certain movements. Afterwards, as the swelling went down and the scar heal, I started being able to bend and turn as long as I did it slowly. After recently finding out about my disks re-herniation and the epidural fibrosis I have been extra cautious of my movements. Now I feel I'm back at square one because Im all stiff and just getting up from a chair or bed is awful. I have an appointment with my back doctors but I thin k I might go to the ER today. I'm already being forced to go back to work after a failed back surgery because I don't have my employers long term disability and now I'm supposed to go back with this too.

I tryed looking into SSD but they (SSD Lawyers) think I might be able to do a desk job even though I can't sit for more than 25 minutes at a time AND because I go to college they figure I'm able to do something so I can't be that
bad. I'm having a hard time staying positive. I started to have positive thoughts about my upcoming ESI ( I had two that failed last year) because maybe , just maybe it'll give me some relief so I can work, and then I slipped
and fell on ice. :"(

advertisement

Comments

• I went through the whole disability thing too, to no avail. As far as your fall... I have read several people on here who have fallen within weeks after their surgery, and other than soreness from the fall, they didn't do any damage. Their docs have told them the fusion hardware is pretty solid. With your existing herniation tho, I think it's warranted to have it checked. If the pain is that bad, a trip to the ER is good because they can help with the pain, and probably do an MRI or X-ray to make sure you didn't do anything in the fall.

Is your herniation small? I'm kindof surprised they wouldn't consider removing it. I'm not a doctor tho. :D

Rest, and I hope everything turns out OK for you. Let us know what happens.

Caity
  • Sorry you fell and your going through all you are with work etc.
    First if you did not have a fusion and only a micro I would get it checked out.
    I fell on the ice mid air 3 months post op but I had a fusion done. No damage was done at the time.
    So yes its very possible that you did more damage to the disk or another disk at that.
    But I am not a dr nor a Xray machine and cannot tell you exactly what is wrong.
    If your still in pain I would make the dreaded trip to the E.R. or to a oncall place and at the least get xrays to put your mind at ease plus your dr will know from the hopsital etc whats going on..

Hang in there!! Let us know how you made out..
    Terri
  • hi mariah,
    i fell 6weeks post op but thank god i was ok.
    i too had a discectomy of L5/S1.
    if you feel that something isnt right id advise you to go straight to the ER.......nothing lost by getting youself down there!!!
    keep us posted on what is happening to you.
    good luck and i sure hope everything is ok for you.

LOVE P
  • I think whether you have had back surgery or none at all, it's almost guaranteed you will be sore after falling onto your butt/back. I don't know anyone who slipped on ice who wasn't hurting for at LEAST a few weeks afterward. It doesn't necessarily mean you did more damage. You look pretty young from your picture, so falling on ice probably shouldn't do anything serious.

However, it's better safe than sorry. Getting it checked out won't make things any worse, and it can't hurt to do it. Peace of mind is valuable and it's very well worth going to see a doctor or to the E.R.! I wouldn't stress out about it yet.

Also, I agree with your doctor... It's pretty hard to get SSD for something that has, at this point, only required a small surgery. Even those who have had multiple fusion surgeries have been denied for SSD. It's hard to say that you're completely unable to work due to back problems, because there are ALL kinds of jobs out there, and SSD is going to be on the ball with figuring out just what jobs they think you're capable of working. Especially if you're younger, it's damn near impossible to get SSD. Sucks, but what can ya do? If it won't cost you anything, and it won't be a huge ordeal... You might as well apply, though. What do you have to lose? The worst they can do is say no, right?
  • Thankyou everyone for your replies. I am still sore and even though most movements hurt I am still able to walk so I guess that's good. I see my doctor on Tuesday so until then I'm resting and icing my back. It sucks because my pain meds aren't even working...at all. Thanks again though :)
  • One bad thing about surgery and having preexisting back problems is that most people are on pain meds at some point... Which you end up building up a tolerance to. Sucks because then when something new happens, you're kind of screwed. Ice is good, but heat is better if you have any muscle tension/pain. You could try alternating both throughout the day.

Anyway, hope ya feel better soon & your appt on Tuesday goes well!
  • I'm so sorry you fell. Be very careful!! I fell last February in my bathroom - actually fainted - and ended up with a spinal compression fracture. That was some serious pain and took months to heal. I have never been the same since. I think it knocked some stuff around, jacked up my nerves, something.

Let us know what the doctor says,

Cheri
  • hello Mariah!
    I am so sorry to hear of your fall! I would have only waited a day and then went to get checked because it would just needle away at my brain "the not knowing"!

When you see your doc on Tuesday I hope that everything goes well and ther is no New issues..

My biggest fear is to slip and fall! No matter if it is on the ice or just persay taking a wrong step or something. I also have stairs in my home so that always scares me too.

My surgeons office told me that the hardware in my neck is pretty solid. I had an ACDF on Sept 3. 2008. So the concerns are there...
    Please let us know how your doing and what your doctor says after you see him/her.
    In the mean time rest rest rest!
    Misty
advertisement