Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery to remove infection :(

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody!
Just wanted to update on my ongoing journey. Just a reminder I had a PLIF of L5-S1 with donor bone and hardware on Sept. 15. At 2 weeks post op I developed an infection, that required antibiotics, and daily draining of the seroma. Once over that I did my pt and was coming along great, and expected to go back to work this coming Wed., Jan. 7.
Unfortunately last week, I developed severe excruciating pain, along with a fever of 102.6. Of course this all happened during Christmas, so those days, were just a blur. I got in to see an assistant in my ns office on the Friday after xmas, and she said that maybe I had aggravated the nerves and they were inflamed, but due to the infection I'd had before, they ordered blood work, x-ray, and MRI. So when I called this past Tuesday, they said the MRI showed a deep infection with nothing to aspirate. I was told to just keep my follow up appt with ns on Friday. So I go to the ns yesterday, and he tells me that I have 3 small pockets of infection on the edge of the disc, and they are pushing on the nerve which is where the pain is coming from. He said it was strange and that he'd only seen something like it one time before. So the only solution is to open it up and get in there and get a culture to see what kind of infection it is and also to clean it out. So this coming Tuesday afternoon I will be back in the operating room once again. :''( Needless to say I am quite upset about it, but know that it is necessary for my well being. I hope everyone else is doing good in their journey to recovery.

• I will be thinking of you Tuesday..hoping they get you fixed up.Donna
  • Hoping that this is just a small stubling block and that you will be up and good as new soon. I am 3 weeks out from 2 level fusion and disc replacement. I will be thinking of you Tues and every day following. keep us posted and hope things go well for you. 8>
  • I'm sorry you have to have another operation. I hope the infection gets cleaned up and you start your healing process. I'll also be thinking healing thoughts of you Tuesday. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • that sounds awful. I hope they can get in there and nip it in the bud so you don't have to worry about this anymore. So sorry!

( ( HUGS ) )

• Sorry to hear about the infection and the necessary operation. Unfortunatley sometimes things don't always work out the way we plan, but remember that every obstacle is put in front us for some reason or another. We'll all be thinking of you next week and during your recovery.

Hang in there!!

• Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but having a hard time right about now. :( I'm hoping that the dr. won't have to redo any of the fusion or hardware, but will find out Tuesday. I guess the up side to this is that I hadn't gone back to work yet, so I don't have to start medical leave all over again, but will just have to deal with getting Met Life all the info needed to keep my med leave goin, which will be enough trouble itself. ~X(
  • do you know your seg rate nancy

i have infecvtion also
  • you need to know your seg rate if it is higher than 3 you have an infection i carried a bag of antibiotics for 7 months

please let me know how you do i had pain
  • I been doing some more research about all this infection stuff, and I see where other members on here have also dealth with this issue too. I hate for anyone to go through this but it is also nice to know that I am not the only one that has had this problem. So tomorrow I will pack a couple things in a bag and will be ready to go to hospital Tuesday morning.
  • Hi Gloria.
    obviously I didn't see this before your PM... or I would've responded. you're definitely not alone. some of us on the board have dealt with serious complications/infection. I totally feel for you. I know you've read some of my old posts... just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and praying you have a speedy recovery. please PM me when you're up to it as I don't get around to reading on the board as much as I'd like to.
  • Hi,
    So I went in on Tuesday for the surgery to remove that nasty infection I had. I really didn't know what to expect as to length of stay after surgery, but I did not get released until Fri. afternoon. :?? It too that long for them to get the results of the culture, and decide from there the course of treatment. A big WOOO HOOOO =D> for the fact that it is not a staph infection, and I am able to take antibiotics orally, and the ns did not have to replace or do anything with my fusion or hardware. The ns said that there was even a small plus with the infection, in that sometimes it can make the fusion even stronger. So now I start the healing process again, not quite from square one but pretty close. :)))
  • Glad it is over for you and hoping each day you will feel better. Glad even though you had second surgery is was the lesser of the problems. Hang in there and I will be thinking of you. 8>
  • Hi,
    I've been meaning to ask you about your user name on here. I'm assuming you are from Iowa, do you still live there? I was born and raised there, but have lived in Tennessee for 23 or so years now. I grew up on a farm and thought that was the best thing there ever was, and I used to wonder what did the kids in town have to do to keep themselves busy :))(
    I' feeling weak and ruff today, so am just kicked back and taking it easy.
  • I am glad you are home already. I had three infections and had surgery 4 times in three weeks to get rid of my infections. I had to spend 26 days in the hospital and had all of my bone graft removed. I will be going back in around March to have the bone graft done again.
  • You should get some relief right away.

Good luck to you.

• So almost a week post op, and keeping with my motto of "taking it one day at a time". Today I had to have my husband change the dressing as it was full of blood. I had the dressing on for a couple of days without any bleeding, but I must have aggravated the incision during the night and caused it to bleed. I've been keeping my pain under control with the meds. I go out several times a day and take a stroll around the porch, and today I even walked out to the mailbox and back. So things are going okay.