Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

unemployed now!

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi Everyone, I'm sure you all have heard I was denied SSD because I was still working. Well I left work on Jan 1st. Hired a great attorney who is getting a hearing expedited for me. I left work thinking I had another 3 months of FMLA but boy did they give me wrong info. Personnel called me at home of Friday and said the woman I spoke with was wrong and I'm on a Personal leave for 2-4 weeks then I'm fired.I also have no heath insurance as of Jan 2nd. Boy oh Boy 2009 is starting out real nice. Anyone know how long it takes to get a hearing?

• Can take 1-5 years on some cases....good luck...I am in the process of appealing my SSD deniel.
  • DMoonChild. I'm so sorry to hear about your job situation. You must be anxious. I am suggesting to the folks that run Spine-Health that a forum devoted to disabilty be established. I know a lot of us are concerned about our jobs, out ability to continue working, etc. We would all benefit from learning the ins and outs of disabiity applications and, unfortunately, disability often goes hand in hand with back problems. Susan.
  • I'm sorry you got messed over like that. I really hope the hearing comes sometime this year. When I applied, it took 3 years for me to go before the Admin. Judge with my lawyer. It took like 10 minutes and I got a favorable decision.
    I know this is horribly expensive, but is there a way you can hold on to your insurance with COBRA? If not, maybe you can apply for Medicaid as a last resort. Getting treatment for our backs is so expensive.
  • Susie started I think. Lots of information in there. Some got approved on their first try in just a few months. Others have waited for years. I think a new Forum for this subject is an excellent idea.
    Dmoon I am so sorry this has happened to you! I would at least call a lawyer. They do free consults. What an awful way to start off the new year. Especially with little ones. You're in my thoughts.
  • so sorry you lost your job. Everything I've read says it takes about 2 years to get a hearing. I don't know what having it expedited would do for it - hopefully move it up many many months!!

What a mess. I hope you are able to figure something out. I hate when HR gives the wrong info - it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to tell us the nature of the benefits, etc.

( (HUGS) )

• I am so sorry for you! I have been following your story because alot of what you have been through with your employer is the same as what I went through! How long it takes for a hearing in front of am ALJ is dependent on your area and how far they are behind. Some states are not as far behind as some of the others. I applied for SSD last February. Got my first 2 denials and have been waiting for my hearing since September. My lawyers have said that it should be some time this year. When I first hired my lawyers they told me that our area just lost 3 judges last year and it would probably take 3 years. In September they told me that we just got 3 new judges that actually seem to be working so expect that I should get a hearing this year. Your attorney really should have the inside scoop on how long it will take. I do know that if you fall behind on your mortgage or electricity and face power cut off or foreclosure you can go to your state representitive and get an emergency hearing with SS. Even if you were lucky enough to get approved quickly, you will not be eligible for Medicare for 2 years after your benefits take effect. Maybe you could check and see if your state offers some type of health care benefits for you. You could probably look online at your states website and find out.
    BTW - If you could use help with groceries, please see my post in the water cooler section. Good luck.