Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questionabout disc herniation

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been diagnosed with a herniated disc at the usual site of L5/S1 and have been in pain for 2 weeks now! I go see the ortho on Thursday, but I am very anxious about the outcome. I apparently have had a disc bulging at this site for a year now (oops doc forgot to tell me that last year), but the pain I have now is much much worse than when I went to him a year ago with this. Last year, I just couldnt sit and basically had a charlie horse in my left side for like a week. I chalked it up to the arthur and the fibro, but apparently it was a little more. Eh...I survived it. Now, though, the pain lets up but never goes away and it has been alot longer. I have been taken out of work until I see the Ortho, but I am a single mom of 4! Not being at work is really not an option. I work as an account manager so I am at a desk 8 hours a day and sitting is next to impossible. This is the longest I have been able to sit in the past 2 weeks. I dont so much as have the leg pain alot of people on here are mentioning with their herniation, so that confuses me a bit. My pain is staying right at the lower back and my pelvic bone on the left side feels like someone whacked me with a seldgehammer. (ok, no I dont know what that feels like, but it HURTS is all I do know) Has anyone felt their pain along the pelvic and hip area??

I am thinking I need to go back to warmer weather (from Florida, but living in NY). Has anyone noticed weather as being a factor?? I was shoveling snow when it went....dern snow!
I LOVE water rides...does this mean my amusement park rides days are over?? Are disc issues always there once you have one?
How long am I going to be outta work??

Ok, yes I know, these are questions for the doctor, but some of your experiences may be helpful to help with the anxiety I am feeling.

• makes a definite impact on my pain. I do get pain in my pelvis area as well as my hips. All of your questions will depend on what type of surgery if any that you decide to have done. Have you checked in to any of the non invasive or minimally invasive procedures yet? Surgery should always be left as a very last resort as it holds no guarantees. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    BTW- Do you have any short term disibility through your employer? If so, that may help you with the financial burden of being out of work.
  • Seems like when you want to discuss these medical things with people you know, everyone disappears.

I do have short term disability at work, but have to be out for 7 consecutive days and then it will start. My job is paying me for the New Year holiday so I wonder if that will mess up the 7 day count. :S

Today I was feeling a little better,except for the headache, this morning so I decided to venture out to the much needed grocery store. It was like as soon as I stepped outside the pain started and I was unable to sit comfortably in the van. Once I got home and sat down, I was ok. Weird?? IT was like 20 degrees outside, but I just cant see how the cold could work that quick on me.
    As I was walking through the store I could feel the weakness and tingling in my left leg increasing more and more. By the time I left the store I felt like I was wobbling. This really stinks! I want to be able to function and take care of my family, but this is really holding me back. I had to take one of my boys to the store with me so they can help carry the groceries. Everyone tells me they should be helping me (you know all the people who dont help me) and I know they should, but I feel guilty making my kids go out and shovel all the time. It's so not their responsibility,ya know?
  • I think it's okay to let the kids do the shoveling. Across the street the kids do the shovelling. And I'm sure they have a snowplow! I feel pelvic pain sometimes too on the side opposite the herniation and hurts strong sometimes walking up stairs. I've been off work since last February so I don't know how long you would be off work. Everyone heals at different times and some need surgery usually when all conservative measures are tried. Physio, epidurals for sciatic pain. There are nerve meds and I'm on Lyrica and amitriptyline. I'm not sure if the weather has anything to do with it except shovelling snow or me when I walked through a blizzard and snowbanks and pulled my back out. I hope conservative measures help you overcome this. www.chirogeek has helped me understand timelimits. I hear a herniated disc may take 15 to 18 months to get better and maybe longer or less. I hope your Ortho has some answers for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.