Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

please PLEASE someone help!!!!

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
I think I'm in another L5S1 flair up and I'm in pure agany and torture...I can't even describe how the pain is, but I know many of you have felt this too. What do I do? I can't get to my doc until Mon and I'm praying my urgent care visit eill help eventually. I just received prednisone. I told the urgent care doc that I didn't know why I was there b/c I had pain meds at home-percocet whcich doesn't work, I have 2 types of relaxers-skelaxin and xanaflex, which do nothing at all!!! Heat feels better (I went and bought bio freeze) and when I put on ice, I spasm worse. I am one big spasm with gigantic ones that make me want to jump off the roof. I have done warm/hot baths for relaxing.

I am sure the culprit, but I got a massage 2 days ago, the 31st and the after it started. I almost came off the table when she touched near my sciatic area, so she got the hint. Maybe rubbing the spine near the disc did this? I don't ever want a massage again!!

Besides starting lrica, which i'm sure i'll do b/c of the severe nerve pain, is there anything else I can do? Help!! I'm scared and afraid of this not going away. What else would offer relief? Are there better muscle relazers from you espwrieince?

Thank you

• Pills don't work for me either but I do get some relief from zero-gravity chairs. I noticed my sciatic pain was less when I was in a dentit chair. Take a look at the picture on this link and use what pillows and furniture you have to match it as best as you can. Hope it helps

• Hello I have back surgery on Monday the 5th of December. I am very nervous about the whole thing I hope that the surgery goes well.

Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice that will help me. What would I need when I get out. I am on a fixed income I don't have alot of money to buy things.

The nurse tells me that the surgery will take about 2 hours, and that I will be in the hospital for one night. :jawdrop:
  • But if the ain become unbearable-go to the er. They can perscribe something stronger and even an MRIZ to see if additional damange hgas been done. Don't tell me you think you know what caused it so as to not taint his opinion-you really don't know. I went to the ER, told them it would be a few eeks before I could get into ti see my GP and he helped with pedensone, valium and hydrocodone. But the person who gave me the most relief was a chircopractor who gave me electro-stim massage along my arm. That may not help a persos with your type of pain, but they may know something that will. I would not let them adjust your back-I kept them away from my neck, the source of my pinched nerve. Good luck!
  • Maybe you could go to a rehab hospital for a few days after your surgery. I wish you all the best for surgery and hope you have someone at home to support you. I believe there's a list of things here for post-op. You would get more responses if you opened a post to the left where it says forum topic. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That's what I intend to do if I wake up with the same pain in my right hand again tomorrow. I have an appt too Monday with my doctor. But I like you, am in a lot of pain and I figure he can come see me in the ER tomorrow if it gets too bad. You need pain mgmt and steroids won't even start working for two or three days. If you're like me I hate hospitals and doctors poking on me so it takes a lot to get me to go to the doctor's office much less ER but my arm was completely dead this morning when I woke up and something has gone terribly wrong. I have held out for about as long as I can.
    I think mine started because of a 3 hour long MRI I had last Friday. Laying on a hard plastic table with no neck support was not helpful. I left that hospital in tears and swallowing Percocets as fast as I could.
    Oh and I get much more relief from heat than I do ice. Always have. I am sitting with my back on a heating pad as I type this trying to get some relief to my shoulder at least.
  • Please take a look at the surgery section. There is a list of things there that you will need post op. Please keep us posted.
  • Thank you for you replies. I haven't moved around much today. I was [finally] in a comfy position yesterday when I woke up and thought I was better from 12 hours of steriods which is what the urgent care told me. The spasms hit like a freight train. I got up twice more yeterday b/c I don't want my kids to think anything bad and they are horrendous. I mixed what I had last night to go to sleep, but it was few and far b/n. My husband asked what he could do and I said give me a gun. I NEVER talk like that! The pain is excruciating. I skipped church this am and took more meds to try to nap...moving just to reposition and go to bathroom. I'm going to try a hot bath now.

The urgent care doc did say I should go to the ER for IV anti spasmotics, but I hate the stigma. I have been twice with the migraines I used to get from my cervical DDD that would change my pupils and they still treated me like I was scum. I'm a nurse too, so I know how they talk about headaches and back conditions...its terrible. Drug seekers we are called. Thats why I made it clear to the urgent care doc that I had narcotics and didn't need any--that they weren't working. If I were seeking, I would have kept that info to myself and gotten more. I hate the docs we have to deal with. My doc should be back in the office tomorrow. He's compassionate.

I hope you all feel better too. Thanks
  • What you are describing is exactly what I had. Same location, everything. The Prednisone did nothing, nor did the Vicodin. Then my Ortho Surgeon took me in to do an injection. It did nothing. So while I was in recovery, he came in and decided to take me back for another injection. It did nothing. So, I was scheduled for surgery. I'm now 5 weeks Post Op. The only difference I can notice is that prior to surgery, nothing would relieve the pain. That is nothing except a trip to the ER where they started an IV and gave me morphine, and then Demerol before I left. That eased the pain for awhile. Now after surgery, I have the same exact pain, but the meds will give me relief for about 3 hours. I guess I expected pain to be gone, but now he says the nerves have to heal. So, I take Norco, Lyrica, Celebrex, and Carisoprodol for muscle spasms. I take lots of other meds, but these are after surgery meds. Like I said it last for about 3 hrs. So, I know what you're going through. Don't hesitate to go to the ER. They can stop, or at least ease the pain for awhile. It is unbearable.

Good Luck,
  • Just took hot bath, applied bio freeze and laying back on heating pad and just as I suspected...spasms are worse.

I live in pain with this every day, I limp and it hurts..all the variations of pain. When it's flaired up like this, the muscles seem to have a death grip on the sciatic nerve and then bam...squeezes even harder at times. I feel like I am equipped with all the meds I need???.

I have heard soma works great...could I be "immune" to my old relaxers? The urgent care doc did not want to give me anything sedating...funny, huh? When you are in this misery, its nice to get a good nights sleep.

I saw someone mention valium...I think thats the old cocktail for back pulls, but I think most are scared of it now. But, just for a few days? gees. I was really hoping for a shot to knock it out and maybe it would put an end to the cycle. I hate this stuff. I really pray my doctor is back tomorrow in office. Although, I don't know what he could do different. I know we'll probably start lyrica for my everyday nerve pain at least. HEY! I just remembered my hubby has some left over xanx from something about a year ago...that's like valium and something I'm not used to taking. I'll split it in half and see if it helps. I can't believe I've gone 3 days without thinking of that. I'll report back. I don't know what else to do. I hate
    ERs. I also have lidoderm patches that I haven't tried yet b/c I thought biofreeze was similar and it's not the pain I need to stop, it's the spasms which are causing the pain. I may try that too. Just popped in my head as well.

The chair looks interesting. I'll have to read about it and see 'how' it works. I almost went the route of getting one for my cervical DDD when I was in pain for it a couple years back, but didn't...Thank the good Lord, my neck pain went almost completely away about 2 months before this L5S1 herniation occured. Does insurance help pay that?

Turtle, thanks so much for the guidance of "not" mentioning that I think its the massage. You are right. What is an MRIZ? Electrical stim helped my cerv DDD and tens unit, but I tried the tens on my sciatic and boy did I think I was being zapped to Mars! Elecrical stim and the sciatic electrical shocks you get don't mix well. That massage therapist couldn't even touch that area. I ended up drawing with a sharpie the area she couldn't touch! lol. But she still did my spine, so I'm 'assuming' that's what hurt me, but you are right not to claim that to the doctors. My heriation is inoperable b/c I don't have spinal cord compression and I cried in relief, but as of right now, I'd hand someone a scapel. I can't handle this and 5 kids and a normal life...it sucks. :(

Sorry to ramble...hope you all feel better...if you have any other suggestions on meds I could ask for tomorrow or ANYTHING at all...please help!!

New herniated L5S1, cervical 5,6,7 bulging and DDD

Currently on Percocet 10/325 every 6 hours for break thru pain if needed, immediate release oxycodone 10mg twice per day,topamax for migraines (helps alot), zanaflex if needed for calf/foot spasms from sciatic pain,

• Hi Judy, I pray you really heal better than that. At least pain medicine works for a couple hours...that's why surgery scares me, b/c they are a little more than 50/50 it seems from personal stories and what I've read. I know so many people who had surgery and felt worse and had to have more surgery. I am pretty sure there are success stories on this site, but I think alot of people still have to rely on meds b/c the pain never completely goes away...it's just the complication of it. So, you would vote to go to ER too, huh? hmmm. I'm just afraid of what they think and I know that's silly. I hate the stigma we are under. Last week I overhead a couple people in my pharmacy talking about my meds. I know their system and I know that back pain and migraines go on the bottom of the list when you go in. It's saddening. I really pray you get more relief and that your nerves can heal and that you do not have any big damage. Thank you.

• I reviewed my meds with my Dr. and she doubled my extended release meds because of the constant backpain. It's helped alot but I still feel heaviness and pain in my back. I'm going to 2nd opinion Orthosurgeon Jan. 22. I too am not a candidate for surgery since February I've had pain and tried everything for pain relief. I hope it heals by itself.You should tell your Dr. you're not getting any sleep and give you a sleeping pill. You should be on a long acting narcotic so you don't wake up in so much pain. Take care and good luck tomorrow at your Drs appointment. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Am I to take that to mean that you are a college sports fan? Me too. The ONLY time I ever went to the ER was after a rhizotmy. This procedure often causes increased pain for the first day or so. I had asked the PM for a plan, what would I do if the pain were really bad (I can't tolerate most opioids). He promised me he would be in the office all of the next day (Friday) and I could call him. His "nurse" I'm guessing never gave him my messages so by the time I got to the ER I had been in excruciating pain for two days. Then, lucky me, I got a brand new doctor who immediately pegged me as a drug seeker. I found this to be one of the more humiliating experiences of my life. She also seems to have confused me with another patient as she wrote under the topic "previous medical history" that I suffered from bi-polar disorder. Huh???? So this last time, this last procedure that left me in #10 level pain (for only the second time in my life) I did not go to the ER. I know now that I can go. Preferably, the PM would call ahead. If not, I should bring my drugs with me. Plus now, i have that surgical scar. Other than that, T.G. I have such different types of symptoms, I really can't say anything that will be of any value except maybe this: I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You are a good person and you don't deserve this. Susan

P,S, My last comment is one I taught my husband and made him memorize. Like a lot of guys, he doesn't always know what to say, so I had him memorize that statement and say it to me whenever he doesn't know what to say. He does a good job. He says it with feeling. It always makes me feel better.
  • Susan, thanks for the nice words. What a bad experience you had...unfortunately I know all too well that we 'back problem patients' appear drug seeking and to an extent and not in a bad way, we are b/c we are in so much pain. I know others give us a bad name though. I know this b/c I'm a nurse and to be quite honest, when I'd have a patient admitted already on narcotics, relaxers, antidepressants and such, I would think to myself "oh no...a needy one" or "here is one who knows their drugs". Now, I am and always was very generous and would never withhold anything and would actually give extra of anything I had ordered...I always kept my patients comfy and gave them the benefit of the doubt...they stated the pain, not me...but they did have the stigma attached and now I have it too. So, that's why hardly anyone I knows gets any info on me...esp. my old coworkers. I once told one that I trusted in the Lord that I was probably going toward fentanyl patches and she got upset with me. I knew then that I was no different than the patients coming in her path. And that is why I don't like going to ERs b/c even if they are nice...I still feel they peg you as drug seeking. I feel bad even with my own mom...when I told her what I was on, she called my husband to tell him what she had read online about it. Oh! and yes, I am a tarheel fan! Are you really a stockbroker? My husband is too.

Charry, Thank you...I had a good appt. My spasms are letting up some now...may be the prednisone that kicked in? I slept the most continuous I have in a while last night. My Dr. gave me Amrix for spasms (guess its a 24 hour flexiril) and increased me from 10mg immed. release oxycondone to 20mg oxycontin 2X daily and 10mg percocet for breakthru. He wanted to wait on lyrica since he added the amrix...one at a time I guess. Thanks for your help.