Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long could you sit after fusion surgery? When could you drive?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Folks

I'm a month out of fusion surgery and I feel fantastic! No sharp pains, and the only med I'm on is Tylenol when needed.

I'm not scheduled to see my doc until three weeks from now, and then back to work 10 days after that. The only thing I'm not happy about is I'm unable to sit in a chair for more than say 15 minutes at a time. I have to get up and walk around a bit to get some relief. Believe me, it's not the sharp pains I had before surgery, it's just kind of achey after sitting for a bit. For those of you who had fusion, what was your experience with sitting soon after surgery? Were you advised on how long to sit?

Also, when were you given the go-ahead to drive? This restriction is no fun, especially if you live alone! :W

Lastly, thanks to all of you for the wonderful info you provide on this website. I felt so good about my knowledge and preparation before my surgery. You good people made the difference! O:)

Thanks again...

(Soon-to-be-golfing 8> ) Diana

• Hi Diana, sounds like you are doing great! That is terrific. After my fusion I had instructions to only sit max 10 minutes per hour. This was increased to 15 minutes per hour at 2 weeks out. The sitting restriction was lifted at 8 weeks post-op. My surgeon said I could drive at 2 weeks if I felt safe. I first drove at 3 weeks post-op, making sure I hadn't had pain meds prior. It wasn't very comfortable at all. I limited my driving, but it was great to no longer feel confined to home 24/7. I drove and sat with my brace on for the first 10 weeks. Sitting is just plain hard on our spines after fusion. I bought a recliner at 6 weeks post-op in an attempt to have somewhere comfortable to sit. It was okay, but hard to pop the feet out without bending sideways.

Good-luck with the sitting. Keep up the good work and let us know how you are progressing. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • I am 14 months post op of my 4 level PLIF. I was driving walking sitting standing right away. I still have to keep changing positions. I can not sit more than 30 minutes. No biggie...I am used to it.

Good Luck to you.

• Diana,

Overall, it sounds like you are doing great, better than a lot of people do at 4 weeks.

What you are experiencing with sitting seems to be normal. At 4 weeks I was only able to sit for 15-20 minutes at a time, too. Now, at 19 weeks I can sit for 1-2 hours at a time. Even if you never had spinal fusion surgery or back problems, you should not sit for more than 1-2 hours without getting up and stretching. It's just not good for our bodies, which are designed for motion.

Regarding driving, I was not allowed to drive until my first follow up appointment at 5 1/2 weeks, as long as I wasn't on pain meds. Despite that clearance, I did not start driving until week 7, and that was only short 5-10 minute trips around town. The reality is, you sit in a car, so if you can't sit in your home for more than 15 minutes, you won't be able to sit in the car for more than 15 minutes either.
  • Have not see you for awhile!
    :H :H
    No words of wisdom, just wanted to say congrats on the progress and I hope it continues :)))