Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

this has been playing on my head!!

mrs pmmrs p Posts: 230
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello all,
i went to see my spine surgeon a few weeks back and he has referred me to 3 months of physio then back for another MRI.
so my problem being he said to me "im not a canditaite for surgery at the minute".
can anyone explain to me what you would take out off thoses words.
my sis went with me and she seems to think that is all good news but she doesnt understand spiney lingo!!!
if you can please take a few minutes off your time to explain this to me.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey mrs P,

I would assume the surgery we are talking about is fusion? I would also assume the Dr is looking out for your best interest as fusion is the last
    option. Once you are fused it is sort of the domino effect, adjacent joints
    will follow in failure down the road. As said before, I'm not a medical professional, it's just my experience and knowledge.

Take care,
  • He is expecting that physio will hopefully will fix you. But he's not going to say "No" to surgery until he's tried all of the conservative approaches as most doctors do. Stay positive and go through the physio and hope that's all that you needed. But unfortunately I don't know what you're being treated for. So that's the best guess I can make.
    My brother went with me to an Neurology appt recently and I was told I have Chiari Malformation. He didn't understand why I was upset since I was born with it. He thought that part meant is was good news. It's not. It means I will deal with some symptoms for the rest of my life since it has now become problematic for me. Maybe I should have prepped him better and explained my fear of that diagnosis before we got out of the car.
  • thank you ranger!!!
    much appreciated.

LOVE P
  • thank you ranger!!!
    much appreciated.

LOVE P
  • Hello Mrs P,

You have received EXCELLENT thoughts and wisdom from Ranger.

"im not a canditaite for surgery at the minute" - Those are VERY good words. Surgery IS the LAST option. Your doctor is thinking in your best interests.

You have tried PT. Has that helped? Also, you may wish to ask your doctor if he thinks an epidural spine injection is advisable for you at this time. Epidural injections up to this point have helped me.

Take care. I hope all goes well.
  • Not a candidate for surgery just means you don't need it yet. I was told that yearsss ago by the first orthos I saw.

Your doctor is definitely looking out for your best interests, but probably his own on top of it. Doctors don't want to go open someone up without trying conservative methods first. It wouldn't make any sense, and they'd risk medical malpractice, losing their license, law suits, and at the very least... A bad rapport or reputation. Nearly all surgeons will require that their patients have tried a few months of physical therapy, chiro, injections, etc.. Before they will even CONSIDER surgery. My Neurosurgeon's office won't even SEE anyone who hasn't already been through minimum 6 months and at least 3 different conservative methods. That's a good thing, though. You don't want a doctor that will rush into surgery much sooner than necessary. It's only logical to try everything BUT surgery first. Unless it's an emergency, and you're losing control of your bowel and bladder functions, or have foot drop, then it's definitely nowhere near time yet.

Honestly, physical therapy, rest, medication, and other conservative methods fix most back pain. Really, in all, back surgery is only necessary in rare cases. Rare based on the astounding number of people in the world suffering from lower back and neck pain. It's an extremely high number. Back pain itself is a HUGE issue and it's the most common complaint in doctor's offices everywhere. But definitely not even a fraction of those patients end up in the O.R. Your doctor is definitely saying he is assuming that physical therapy will most likely fix your situation. Especially if you're young, they generally will put it off as long as possible. I had back pain for YEARS before my first surgery... And I had seen doctors back then, too. They seem to try extra hard to keep younger patients out of surgery. It's a very good thing. Ranger is right, it is basically a domino effect. The longer it can be put off, the better.

The fact that your doctor is having you come back for a follow up MRI shows that he is taking you seriously and isn't just putting you off. Definitely do whatever they physical therapist tells you to do at home and follow any restrictions they give you. You should most likely see an improvement by the time you're done :) Good luck with your treatment and let us know how it works out for you!
  • i have already had a discectomy of L5/S1 jan o8 this was just my appt with my surgeon where i live as i had to travel across the water to england for my surgery due to the back log off patients here in ireland priority cases were taken first that is why i ended up having to go to england.

the surgeon who operated on me said i would be back witnin 2yrs for another discectomy and a fusion within 10yrs.
    now on going to the new surgeon here in ireland things changed as he said he didnt believe a fusion would work.
    he did say he is prepared to work with me and and do what ever is possible to do but, as i said his next words were "i am not a canditate for surgery at this time".
    so thats basically it in a nutshell!!!

LOVE P