Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scs implant ---wrong laminotomy level,wrong implant site

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I rushed to get the SCS done for insurance deduductible reasons.

Go with the pain mgmt doc for his doc he uses....go see him him talk about what he's going to do etc (hubby is in the room)

get there the am of the procedure and the SCS Co. rep RECOMMENDS starting where I had the best results from the trial(bottom of the lead), if I looked up to the sky or arched alittle to move it down I got much better coverage, so the trial was too high.

I had to go w/the surgical implant because the percutanuous flopped all over the place & oh what a difference

I wake up pi$$ed off crying because the implant is not where we had decided on a few times mind you...He was paged to come see me & needless to say I was livid. He says OH if you want it moved I'll move it. That was before I knew the whole thing hurt so bad, so he probably said that thinking no way will I have to do that

I get home and feel like something didn't feel right about the lami so I called the nurse to find out where it was and low and behold it's not in a proper place to test. I knew coming out of the anesthesia he put the paddle in the trial spot but at that point I'm lead to believe we tried the lower areas with the lower lami.

So now instead of floppy beatings I get regular diaphram,liver,stomach, rib and even a heart massage once in awhile.(all of which I know are very BAD) So clearly there isn't many options on my program and I can't go to high in frequency either. We have been able to find alittle of my trial areas which I love!!

I find out for sure he did the lami in the wrong level which of course only could allow the paddle in the same area as the percutaneous so I never had a chance to even try it lower. Like does he get this is it!

I am pretty sure the permit did not specify where the lami was going to be (I should know better) All I have is the person in the room's word(miscounted on flouro) and that my hubby also heard this person. I also have the obvious like why in the heck would you go in the same level as the trial only not to be able to move it down.

I have only this option left and felt like with a better permanant placement I had some hope. Now I am going to have to do this again, which again for the short term will be so worth it, but I have to pay the full deductible again?

I don't have my follow up until next week I have the whole conversation rehearsed in my head. Any suggestions for the conversation will be greatly appreciated. Legally I think I'm hosed so I have to work with what I've got? Who do you call at the hospital if this doc refuses to do it right?
(I really don't want him again but will have things in writing this time and there aren't too many options, like another doc is going to step on any toes)

Hopefully we can turn around right away and go back before this lead settles in! ~X(
Ok thanks for listening It's driving me nuts...all weekend!!!! I feel so dumb like why didn't I have it specified on the permit, they told me the doc would mark the implant site I asked several times and right before I get on the table in the OR room we locate where I want it. =((

ok I feel better getting that off my chest thanks

• I would not go in to see the doctor with a lot of anger. Hear what he has to say first. He/or she might suprise you. If, in the end, he is not cooperative you can take your complaint to the patient representative. Supposedly, that person should be your advocate (even though they are paid by the hospital). Hope you get your stim in the right place so that you get some pain relief. That is surely the most important thing. (If you are reallt ticked off---after talking nicely to the doctor and giving him the benefit of the doubt, you can fil a complaint with the medical examining board). Aren't you awake when these things are implanted? Just curious. Susan
  • during the time they place the paddle, not while their doing the lami.

they do the lami place paddle wake you up do the where do you feel this etc then back to sleep for closure and implant...

I am planning on being very professional thank you though because it's going to be hard to contain myself. After my professionalism I'll cry if all else fails because I need this to freakin go back to work!
    thanks for you reply :)
  • I'm supposed to get my permanent SCS tomorrow at noon (unless it is postponed - I've had recent health issues). In my trial, my leads were also too high, but fortunately for me, they leads slipped down about an inch.

The neurosurgeon (a different doc than did the trial) said he is going to try to do percutaneous leads again (Nightmare experience at trial, too much scar tissue), but at the first sign of trouble, will knock me out and do paddle leads. I will pray extra that if I get the paddle leads (what I prefer, truthfully), that they will be put in the correct level.

I'm so sorry. I know I am relying on my programmer to direct the doc since she was at my trial and had to work to program me afterwards. (Although my trial procedure experience was so bad and full of pain that she had a vasovagal reaction and passed out in the middle of it!!!!!). Sigh. Turn the page, turn the page......... lol

Let us know what happens with it.

( (HUGS) )

• So have you had a chance to get with your rep and try to reprogram yet? Sometimes post op swelling causes a change in the stimulation patterns.

I agree with Susan, don't go in showing any anger.

• Sorry to hear you had difficulty with your SCS. I agree with Stockbroker just hear his side of it and find out the day when he's going to fix it. Is it possible the paddle slipped somehow? I know Cherish had a bad trial with hers also. I hope they replace the leads in the right area for both you Pettynme and Cherish. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello Pettynme,

I was not aware of the SCS implant until you started this topic. SOOooo I did a bit of searching on the internet.

I am not a doctor nor associated with any medical company.

With that said permit me to give you a word of caution regarding this device. I came across quite a number of cases where people had problems with this device. In addition it took some several months to be better. Just my thoughts and observations from what I read.

• Pettynme - I know how much you've been waiting for the SCS; I am so sorry that the procedure didn't go better. You might try calling the product rep. They might be able to find another doc in your area who can work with you from this point forward. I'll be sure to log on soon to get an update on you. Terri
  • I have spoken to the rep in fact mine and his boss, I'll keep ya'll updated and in the mean time the boss who did my trial is going to redo me while I wait for a redo....I confirmed a couple things as far as movement of the paddle after the lead is placed, they do not take notes in the room as far as my responses so that's too bad.
    so both will be there tomorrow with me as I asked for the boss to come, I'm not trying to be the new guys experiment!

RichT I appreciate your concern but the fact is there is nothing else I cannot be fixed and if something happens with the SCS so what at least I had some normalicy in between. I'm not having anymore surgeries I don't even know if I'm completely fused I don't care I'm as is and the SCS symptomatically works. Nothing will "fix" me although I wish that would happen but scar tissue is a mean beast }:)

"C" your right but even with swelling down etc I can't walk around with my neck up in the air to lower it...lol it's simply too high but like I mentioned yes the rep will still tinker with it.

Cheri pls just make sure your permit specifies where the lami will be and the permanent implant marked with a perm marker while you are sitting so it doesn't sit on your iliac bones when you sit down.

Charry no the paddle won't slip they say sometimes it may lower on its own with time but I don't know it's frustrating

Terri can you even believe it! thanks
    for your nice words too I am going to see if there can be some resolution & if not then yes I will get a recommendation from the rep guys thats a good idea.

Have a great day everyone!!!
  • Hi,

Just a couple of suggestions:

Write your questions down and take them with you to the dr. That way when he says something that may throw you off, you can refer to your list.

Take notes yourself. Write down everything the dr tells you. And don't be afraid to tell him you need more details or assurances. He does not want a lawsuit on his hands. You can do this nicely and professionally. If he has a problem with it tell him it's a way to protect both of you.

Or find another dr who doesn't just blow off your concerns. It needs to be someone who takes you seriously and doesn't minimize your challenges.

Good luck to you.
  • Well the doc spent alot of time with us. I took everyone's advice thank you. :H

I am glad it's over, he will redo the surgery it was interesting to say the least. I'm not sure what I am going to do he implied that insurance covers revisions for up to 90 days after implant, but do we have to pay the deductible that reinstated Jan 1? We're calling the insurance Co.

Then we will have to make decisions from there? I would really like to get it redone asap & be done with it but if it was done right in the first place I wouldn't be worried about coughing up a huge deductible all at once.

He had alot of blah blah blah run around & I had to point out a few things without putting him on the defense. I have to know if more of my leg is somewhere down there, as much as I hate the fact that it's got to be done again, I'll never know if we don't try.

so that's all for now I'm not trying to be evasive about all the facts and his responses but for now that's all I can type....
    Have a great day everyone!!
  • I did have the permanent SCS put in Monday and did not have paddle leads. (May need to be switched to paddle leads, but currently, the percutaneous leads are working.) Also, I cannot feel my hip pocket incisions/pulse generator at all. Literally nothing. I had lateral numbness there before this surgery, so I'm wondering if that is why I am not feeling even any minor surgery pain? I am sitting fine, leaning back fine. I only feel the staples if I put my hand back there and feel for it. The weirdest thing. I thought I would have some stinging/pain while that healed. I do think it is in a great place, though, as it is not interfering with any waistbands, etc.

Good luck on your revision!! I hope you don't have to pay the deductible again since this is a "re-do"!

• I am so happy for you!!!! =D>

Isn't it an amazing difference? I hope those suckers stay put and keep you feeling better. My implant site wasn't bad either, in fact it's sorer now that the swelling is going down...bizzare I know.

I am thinking Mags words " find another dr who doesn't just blow off your concerns. It needs to be someone who takes you seriously and doesn't minimize your challenges" may be just what I am leaning to. There is no way If I have to pay the deductible that it will go to them.

take care