Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stupid People

ernurseeernurse Posts: 790
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Matters of the Heart
OK, I'm getting some preop anxiety and getting testy about everything. Wanted to share a story because I'm sure lots of others can understand!

So, kids were at grandma's. Hubby and I had spent New Year's Eve alone, we slept in together without a 4 year old climbing in the bed or teenage boys yelling while they played video games. When we got up, we decided to go out for lunch at a sit-down chain restaurant. It was great to pick a restaurant without thinking about their kid's menu!

We get there, there's a close parking spot so we don't even use my handicap tag. I'm feeling very upbeat, I have alone time with hubby, pain under control though I am wearing my brace. As we are led by the hostess to our table, I unzip my jacket and she sees my back brace. She stops in the middle of the restaurant and says, "Oh my god, what happened to you?"

Now, it didn't ruin my dinner, but just underscores the stupidity of people. She was young, didn't have a clue, I know. I wish I had been thinking quicker. If I had, I wish I would have said, "Oh, last time I was here I slipped on the ice and broke my back here." Maybe that would have gotten me a free meal! :)

Thanks for listening.

• I so know what you are talking about. Like being in pain, having surgeries and disabled isn't enough!! I typically have to stay reclined with a pillow in our vehicle as I cannot sit longer than 20 minutes or so.

Several times we have gone to drive in type places (Sonic), and I'm reclined with my handicap placard hanging right there in the center of the windshield. 2 times, the server has said "Wow, aren't you comfy" and rolled their eyes, implying my laziness. Grrrr. I try to keep a light-hearted attitude, because like your waitress, they are always very young. Just need to stop and think before they speak!!

Glad you got out with the kiddos, though!