Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long will I have to sleep on my side

MagsMMags Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Is this something that's just while you're in the hospital or afterward too. And how long?

• the doctor tell you to do that? I had lumbar issues and was not told that. Sleeping on my back is the most comfortable, but I do keep a pillow to support my legs either position.

• I'm assuming you're a lumbar person. If you are, sleeping on your side is often the most comfortable position. You can sleep on your back(as long as doc doesn't prohibit) but it may be uncomfortable without extra pillows. I find putting two pillows underneath my knees allows me to sleep on my back. That way my legs(muscles and nerves) are not stretched.

If you're a stomach sleeper, sorry! Sleeping on your stomach is very bad for spine patients and you should try to get away from that one.

For me, I change positions all night long. I never really sleep longer than 2 hours at a time and prefer not to. If I sleep too long in any position, it hurts more.
  • Thanks, y'all.....I must have just assumed it incorrectly. I will speak to my dr about it. I feel better about it now.

• My discharge instructions did not rule out any sleep positions. It just said to sleep in whatever position you could. I could never sleep on my back no matter what so I try to stay on my side but sometimes find myself waking on my stomach. So far so good, 7 weeks post L4/L5 360 fusion, ADR with hardwear.
  • I slept on my back with two pillows under myknees for the first three months after surgery. Sometimes, I still sleep this way if I am in pain.