I'm a 35 year old man, and have loved reading this site, but this time, decided to join.
- I had an L4-L5 Laminectomy and Discectomy in 10/2002 and was out of work 4 weeks. Returned to light duty (30'ish hours per week) for about 2 weeks, and by the 6th week I was working full time.
- I had L5-S1 fusion and discectomy in 1/2006, and was out of work 3 weeks. Returned light duty, and worked from home about half the week, and did about 20 hours in the office.
- I had L4-L5 microdiscectomy in 6/2006 and was out of work for 2 weeks. I returned too soon...period.
- I had L4-L5 XLIF with fusion in 4/2008, fulldiscectomy, cages, PMB, pedicle screws, rods and laminectomy. I returned to work after 10 weeks and 2 days.
- I had L3-L4 XLIF with removal of instrumentation from previous XLIF, and re-installation of full instrumentation from L3-S1. Surgery was 7 hours. All the standard, fun instrumentation, and they even let me keep the old stuff. I anticipate being out of work 3-4 months. Oh yeah...that surgery was 4 days ago (12/30/08).
So...I'm 4 days out, and doing quite well. Thank goodness for the Fentanyl patch.
Los Gatos, CA