Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New pain

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a question.

I had PLIF on Dec 19. Until yesterday I had random pain, but not too bad. Mostly achy type and incisional pain. Yesterday while getting out of bed, i twisted by accident,

Since then I have been experiencing sharp stabbing-type pain the my lumbar area. Is that normal?

• I remember the panic I felt from new pain, doing things accidentally. I hope it isn't anything. I'd probably call the doc's office just to make sure.

( ( HUGS) )

• Dina,

In the first month or two after my surgery, whenever I moved the wrong way or overdid things, I would have increased pain lasting anywhere from 1-2 hours to 2-3 days.

What you have described sounds normal, though it wouldn't hurt to contact your surgeon's office and get their opinion just to make sure.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • Dina, I had PLIF Nov 18th and I've had several times that I've "moved" wrong and ended up in bed taking extra pain meds. My doc reminded me that the spine isn't the only susceptible part. We have muscles that have been moved around and some of us have an additional incision for the bone graft harvest (worse for me than the original site).

Don't panic but if you have any real concerns, as I'm fond of saying, you payin' de doc so give him a call!!!! Always better safe than sorry. Kathy in Atlanta