Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF - hoping this was the better option over non-fusion?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Im really stressed,

I had ACDF 2 weeks ago to c5/c6. Im reading heaps on the internet (as we do) that fusion leads to more ops in the future as it puts more stress on other levels of the spine. This is the last thing i wanted to hear! What are the percentage rates of needing future ops?? Im only 29, and have a 2 yr old and was quite healthy until this happened! Could someone shine some light on this topic? My surgeon said there would only be a 5-10 % chance of other levels needing surgery but from what i read this suregery has only been around for 10 years or am i wrong?
How long is the plastic disc meant to last and what about the screws and plate in my neck? Sorry for the long post but im finding a lack of feedback from long-term patients - im talking 40-50 years from now!!

• chella,
    First let me say welcome to spine-health. I'm a bit confused when you say plastic disc not sure what that means. was it a spacer that was used. As far as the need for future surgeries there is just noway to tell. You are correct that if you are fused that stress will be put on the other disc. Wether they will herniate is anyone's guess. There are ppl who have herniated disc in neck and never know as they are not symptomatic. Just focus on your recovery and doing all the things to strengthening your spine. Posture is so important. i Know someone who had fusion done back in the 80's and is fine and never had a problem. So lets just hope that is how it works for you. Keep us posted on how your doing.