Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update time

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well here I am few weeks out from my disketomy and partial fusion surgery. For those who wonder what a partial fusion is, its where my doc drilled the 4 holes in L4 and L5 then placed the doner bone in the holes to fuse the two together. He explained it was still a fairly new proceedure but the results have been good so far for success.

Well I am at work still sitting behind the desk and just recently had my check up with the doc. I would like to say my visit with him was wonderful but I can't and its my fault. He asked me about my back brace which I had left at home the day of the visit. He wasn't happy that I haven't been wearing the brace more then I was.

No excuse on my part beyond hating the restriction of the brace for which it was designed for but also feeling like I was in a bear hug all day long. It's just totally uncomfortable but when he mentioned the need for it so the bone fusion would be a success I started wearing more often then not.

So far though, pain is slowly decreasing and my leg doesn't seem to bother me as much as it was. I am getting feeling back into my feet and the stinging is lessoning more and more.

I just have to stop being stuborn and do what I am told. I should however return to field work in another two weeks from now and I am ready to go.

I am also backing down off my pill intake so thats really nice.

Hope everyone is doing well also. We can say that '09 is our year of healing.

I wish everyone luck and success with their recovery also.

• well, Scotty, the good news is that you are back at work, the bad news is that you are bit stubborn, but as long as you admit it you couldn't be too bad. So start wearing that brace, it is only temporary. And follow your doc's advise to the tee. It is worth it.

Take care and continue on with your recovery,

• It's a great feeling to be able to be back at work. All the best for you, Scotty.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• But with some drilling and bone grafts with no instrumentation, you gotta be wearing that brace! Whoa, one wrong move and yipes!! I'm surprised they didn't tell you that. I've got my share of rods and pins and I'm surprised I didn't need a brace, but thankful not to have one. All the best!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.