Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

99.5% Fused!

tonya42ttonya42 Posts: 810
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am officially 99.5% fused after only 3 months!!!!! (He couldn't give me the 100% because there is still a very small area that is still working on growing.) Somebody high 5 me! But please only do it with my left hand because my right hand is still tingling. :D
Finally good news!!!!

• Holy Cow!!! That's great news. I am sure you are beyond ecstatic about this. <:P <:P
  • That is fantastic! I'm so happy for you!

• tonya42 said:
    I am officially 99.5% fused after only 3 months!!!!! (He couldn't give me the 100% because there is still a very small area that is still working on growing.) Somebody high 5 me! Bu please only do it with my left hand because my right hand is still tingling. :D
    Finally good news!!!!
    Fantastic news on the fusion. Congrads to you,
  • :)I knew that prayers worked! ;-) I am so happy for you!!!

One Love,

• YAY! I'm sooooo happy for you that I'd do a cartwheel if I could.

Congrats, Tonya. You deserve good news and you got it!

<:P <:P <:P
  • I wasn't even expecting him to say anything about it this morning because I thought we would talk about the nerve issue in my right hand (which we did) but since he had the XRay in front of him I just asked. What does fusion look like on an XRay and he said "Just like that." I think that's the first time I've EVER hugged a doctor in my life. :D But he did say I had one tiny little area that still isn't fused but so stinking what I am on cloud nine right now!
  • Boy that was fast! Whatever great you are doing to encourage your healing process, it surely is working!!!! Maybe you can package some of "that stuff" and pass it around to the rest of us!!! Way to go. Kathy
  • Ok, girl, pass around some of that healing stuff to the rest of us, ok?
  • Incredible news, Tonya! Send some vibe my way and pray I'll be giving you the same news in April or May!

• GREAT News!!!! I am very happy for you =D>
  • Hey Tonya, this is such a great news, and just think how you worried about it.! :H :H Congratulations, as you are at least partly responsible for your success, as without you doing your part, the surgeon could not perform a miracle. Please give us some details, what else did he say?

I am really happy for you.

• If I knew what to tell you I would. But you can ask anybody who knows me. If you could do it wrong I seemed to do it wrong. Not enough rest. Overdoing it. Whatever I wasn't suppose to do I did it. I can only say somebody up there was smiling down on me today. And I hope there are many smiles where that one came from for every one of my friends here.
  • I know I worried myself sick over it forever and to get an answer as simple as this was just beyond belief! He said that he would see me again in 6 weeks which will probably be the last XRay he will have to do before releasing me unless my tingling continues. Then he will keep me on for that. I have a feeling it's my ulnar nerve acting up. It did it when I had a cyst removed from my wrist way back when too but it resolved on it's own so we left it alone. It came back maybe once or twice a year. So we'll wait out the 6 weeks and if it doesn't get better we will talk about doing an EMG. But of course he still has me on yet ANOTHER new pain medication and muscle relaxer for my shoulders. But I AM FUSED!!!!!!!! So all the rest became background noise to me today. Thank you Mark, LJ and Kin you all were so there for me when I was driving myself nuts and I will forever be in your debt.
    And to those who believe that prayer works. I couldn't agree more but I must have had a lot of people praying for me as I prayed for them.
  • Excellent news, Tonya :D

Just remember to keep taking it easy, and to continue with stretches/exercises and PT. I know ya will!!
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hi Tonya :H I am so glad to hear that you are fused =D> What new meds did they put you on. I hope the tingling gets better.
  • Thanks you guys! We decided to keep the Soma since it's working but he wants me to take it 3 times a day instead of just at night. He also replaced the Percocet with Ultracet. Haven't really had time to look that one up. I'm going to keep up with PT as Bruce suggested so that hopefully this will all be just a memory in a few short weeks. As a matter of fact my doctor wants me to be twice as active as I have been in the past. I'm not sure how fast paced I can be while taking Soma but we'll see. Hopefully I will get used to it too like I did the Percocet. I'm still walking on sunshine tonight though. With everything that I've had go wrong finally something that went right! I'm in awe of my doctor and my own body's ability to heal right now.
  • Right on Tonya! I am thrilled for you! That's quick. Oh what a relief to hear that I'm sure. You sure did something right. Still, take care of yourself & be careful! <:P
  • I am glad for you that you are fused :) Yay!!!!!!!!!
  • I would be on cloud nine, too! congrats!
  • My pain came suddenly after a semi hit me and I was in surgery within weeks of my diagnosis. Unlike everyone else it seems on here has had to deal with their symptoms for a long time sometimes even many years. Mine wasn't like that. I found a doctor who took one look at me and told me that needed to be fixed and soon. I wish you all could find a doctor like mine. He wasn't about to give it time to get any worse and had complete confidence my condition was completely reversable if treated in time.
  • I am soooooooooooooo happy for you from the bottom of my heart,, You have gone through so much and have cared about so many of us...Thank your for coming into my life.. Im so glad to have you in my life....Thank your keeping me grounded even when I heard my bad news about LTD..
    With a loving heart Im so happy for you...
  • Miracles happen. Keep saying that to yourself. They really do. I promise. Yours is around the corner. Just stay strong. You can do it. I know you can.
    Luv ya,
  • hey girl!!
    long time no talk. congrats on the great news!!
  • Where have you been? I hope you're doing Ok without the collar. I was just thinking about you the other day.
  • Me Too!!!!! Yippee, had xray and saw doctor yesterday. Fusion looks good at 3.5 months out. Over 50% and everything is still where it belongs (I worry about screws and plates and things). I am going back to work on Monday the 12th. 4 weeks of part time then back full time Feb 9th. The part time is so I can work 2 hours in the am and 2 hours in the pm and not stress the damaged nerves in my hand/arm/shoulder too much (or my neck). I got a new scrip for 6 more weeks of PT so hopefully little by little things will improve. I am seeing a bit of improvement with my shoulder and right arm. The doctor said its going to take time (maybe a year) for the nerves to regenerate and I might have some permenent damage. I waited a very long time for this surgery (over 8 years) so I can understand that. Anyway I am so happy that the fusion looks good and I can stop worrying so much about it.
  • That's great! I'm glad you're going back to work. That will help keep you moving. Even though it's only 2 hrs at a time still take it easy. I'm at home again today trying to get used to taking Soma 3 times a day instead of just at night. I'm so tired. I could really use a nap but I am working from home so that's out for now. Maybe they'll cut me some slack later this afternoon and I can take a nap after 3:00. Keep me posted on your shoulder and arm. I loved Physical Therapy. All of those nice warm wraps and massages. I have got to get back on their schedule for next week.
  • Roxy where have you been hiding? Thought that we had lost you!
  • Congrats on your fusion-you must really be pleased! :))) <:P I am 11 months out from my 2 level PLIF and I am still not fused. What are you eating? I do beleive that diet has something to do with how well we fuse.
  • Tonya, your successful fusion is so encouraging for me! Im having a 2 level fusion on 01/30 and its wonderful to read your outcome... makes me very hopeful :) good luck and continued healing to all of you..
  • buckyD said:
    Congrats on your fusion-you must really be pleased! :))) <:P I am 11 months out from my 2 level PLIF and I am still not fused. What are you eating? I do beleive that diet has something to do with how well we fuse. </blockquote>

Is that not completely fused or not fused at all? You should be nearly completely fused at 11 months out. What does your doctor say? Do you use a bone growth stimulator? I am using a bone growth stimulator (Orthofix) 4 hours a day and you mentioned diet, I really try to eat things that I feel are good for bone growth. Eggs (well egg beaters), cheese (2% not regular american), lots of vegetables and fruit or juice and healthy protein. I was just able to start taking calcium pills again last week (could not swallow them after surgery).
    I wish you luck,