Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

boost of confidence for upcoming acdf patients

cliffy1012ccliffy1012 Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
>:D< for ones that have had or going to have acdf surgery.all my life i have been an active person from sports to jobs. never a dull moment for 41 yrs. got the bad news that i had to have surgery(read profile). i thought that i was going to be unable to do anything any more. walked on egg shells till my surgery on nov 13. most of you probably felt the same way as i did. thats it were useless. WRONG!!! dont ever feel that way dont be scared to keep your head up( no pun intended).im doing what the doc has said to do. im on my 8th week post op ive been walking or using the eliptical trainer. the last 4 days i have been using the total gym.
using lowest level which is no more than 10 lbs of my body weight. because i have told myself that i wasnt going to sit around all day and do nothing. i havent worked out in last 3 months and my body felt it when i played the wii drums i got. i woke up next morning feeling the burn in my arms. thats when i realized i had weakened.i gained 10lbs since off, so there is another reason to keep moving. even if its a little. get up walk around. motivate yourself to move. i plan to keep moving forward. i wont lie im still stiff in the shoulders some mornings,but the last 4 days of working out has decreased the aches.i can accept the mild 1 level pains over the 9-10 level pains and problems i did have. and to have these pains for 4 yrs and not realize the pain i was in. i wont go back. if cant go back to my job as a mailman in the future than so be it i guess i find something else. but i plan to go back. when im ready! so for most of you neckies dont give up there is gold at the end of the rainbow. just dont try lifting the whole bucket.pick at it 1 coin at a time and move forward. ive learned to have fun and laugh at life no matter what the problem. hope this helped most of you. i know its worse for some and im sorry but do your best to make yourself feel better any way you can!!!!

• I had 5/6 acdf done on 12/4/08.I'm out of my collar,I do 30 minutes on treadmill 10 minutes on bike.I to am a very active person I run I boat and I love to snowmobile and I do not plan on giving any of it up.It may take awhile to get back to it.The surgeon said there is no reason i can not love a normal life in time.He said if everything goes allright i.ll only lose 5% rotation.I sometimes have to put my soft collar back on for like an hour or so to keep building my neck mussles up.I agree with the keep moving part.because ever since the surgery my butt hurts from sitting to long,keep moving keeps the pain away.
  • i had a level 2 c4-6 and i dont see any loss of neck movement i dont move it any more than i did before.