Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am going back to work Wednesday

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have decided it is time...I have to admit I am VERY nervous about going back. I finished out the school year in June and had my surgery july 31st..so it has been six months..i missed the first five months of school. I would feel much better if I didn't have pain...but my neck surgeon feels it is from my shoulder. I trust him completely. i see the shoulder guy wednesday after school..hopefully he will give me another cortisone shot for the pain. i have calcification tendonitis and rotator cuff tears. We don't have part time or light duty..so I decided to start on a wednesday..mid week. If needed I plan on using sick days to ease myself back.
Please think of me wednesday! Thanks!

• I will keep you in my thoughts. Good Luck!!
  • Good luck, Donna, but please, take it easy and continue to take care of yourself. If something makes you hurting, try to modify whatever you are doing. Take brakes when you can and using for taking short walks.

Best wishes,

• Don't overdo it and ask for help when you need it. You will definitely be in my thoughts on Wednesday. Post when you can and let us know how it went.
  • All the best for Wednesday (and beyond) Donna. Just be careful and don't overdo things :)
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I don't know a thing about neck pain... so I have no tips... just be good to yourself!!!
  • Just thought i would wish you good luck on wednesday. Make sure you move as needed and take breaks.
  • moving is not an issue with my job!! I am a special ed teacher; stopping is not easy! Also, i am being placed with pre-school (autistic) children, so I will need to sit on little chairs to be eye level with them! The day involves constant "up and down", holding kids, etc. I think that will be a killer!I am planning on trying to take it easy when I first start..especially since the class is up and running already. I will have to be brought up to speed on the 12 kids, procedures, etc.! keep up the good thoughts! Donna
  • I hope you have a painfree day back to work and take it easy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Naturally it is rainy, damp and cold here today. This weather kills my neck and back. I really wanted to go back feeling well. In hindsight I should have waited until thursday to go back..I have a doctor appt today after work, which is quite a drive from my house. my husband has to work, so now I have to drive myself. I am afraid I will be exhausted after my first day. but I can't cancel this appt. i am trying to stay positive, but having a tough time doing it. I don't want to cry at work...to top it off, I am working with all new staff since my assignment has been changed....
  • We'll be thinking of you!
  • I hope your day went well! I was thinking about you when they were posting delays and cancellations here! My kids are home AGAIN. We are covered in a 1/2 inch sheet of ice.

• Well. I made it. Around noon i started getting real shaky...thinking I was too tired to make it through the rest of the day. I ate my lunch and did feel a bit better.
    I have 12 special education pre-schoolers in my class. I am co-teaching with a speech teacher (which is not my fist choice..can't breath without discussing it with my partner..she is very nice and easy going, so hopefully I will adjust). They never stop moving and the noise level is amazing. (can you tell i don't do well in confusion and noise????)
    Two kids can be physical (aggressive/dropping to floor etc). I had the pleasure of working with one the first thing in the morning..luckily he is lite compared to last years class..but I will NOT be able to continue doing it and will share that with my partner and is need be my principal.
    I had to go to the ortho for my shoulder after work: (different surgeon than neck). Which is hurting bad again. he gave me another shot, (2nd) but feels I need arthoscopic surgery. this is interesting: he said 80% of people who need shoulder surgery have neck issues (or have had surgery already). He wasn't thrilled with me working for either my shoulder or my neck..SO..I have to think about what to do again. I will think about the surgery. he said typical recovery is 6 weeks, but I would be 12 due to my job. He doesn't understand why they can't "work me with" HAHA!
    Well, today the speech teacher is out...so I will be relying on the aides to fill me in, but I am basically in charge.
    Will see how it goes. hope I don't feel as exhausted as yesterday.
    Thanks for the thoughts!
  • That's a very interesting comment about the shoulder thing. It is the only symptom I just can't get over since my surgery. You're going back for more?? Good for you for not giving up. =D>
  • Co-treating with Speech! Thank you for the laugh, I needed that today! I had one speech teacher I loved to work with but the others were nothing but a pain. Ones of those situations were a child can only handle one form of direction at a time and the speech person wanted them to answer questions at the same time I was doing a visual task. When I am doing probes with a promt system for data this just didnt work!

I am glad it went OK, but do take care of yourself.

My DH told me this morning he doesnt care if I go back or not, he likes having me home. Well, thats not going to pay the car payment or provide health insurance,lol. I doubt at this point I could get on any private insurance if I decided to work part time. We will see, what happens.

• are you sure we don't work in the same school??? LOL

I am trying to be a "new" person since this surgery. Hopefully I will listen to myself. HOnestly with the shoulder thing now, i am not optimistic I will make it to june..Interesting, two other staff members are having shoulder surgery after being pulled down by students. Can you even count how many times that has happened to you? Way to many for me, I know!
    My husband is driving me crazy..one minute he is pushing me back to work ( I was getting full pay) and the next he is saying " have you thought about disability?".
    I told him I am in charge of my body and appreciate his "help" but will take my time in working it out.
    I am a few years away from early retirement..which we couldn't survive on anyway. Disability takes years to get. Like you said: bills dont get paid that way!
    Are you doing any better? I hope even a little bit! Please let me know.
    BTW..do you have a parrot? I had an african grey: husband made me give him away after five years> he couldn't take the noise. It was the bird or divorce....hmmmm...did i think it through enough????