Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Safe length of time on Hydro 10 every 4 hrs

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
Hi everyone! I haven't been on here too much lately. Between the ongoing battle with my leg, and the fact that it seems school is never opening back up(snowed in!), I have been occupied! But I have a question. My doctor has has me on Hydro 10s every 4 to 6 hours for about 3 months, since we have been trying to solve this current flare up with my leg. I had a facet injection, along with another injection on the 23rd and have not noticed much difference, except that the numbness in my foot seems a little better, so I am excited about that. I am now waiting to get in with an NS and see what they think. My question is, it it safe to stay on this dosage for a prolonged period of time? Or would something else be safer? My doc does not seem concerned about the tylenol, only about the narcotics when I have to come off them. I have been really nervous about that, but I think we are hoping something is going to change soon. Thanks for all your help!

• I've been on that dosage since last year when I had my first back surgery. I never had a problem with it, except a little constipation which is common. The Norco's are good because the tylenol in them is only 325 mg. If you want to stay away from tylenol, then Oxycodone or Dilaudid are examples of meds without it.
  • When was the surgery last year? Late last year or early? I have no problem with them either, but I just don't know if my doc will want to keep the dosage indefinitely. I think she wants to keep it that way for now, we keep hoping we'll get results with all the treatments we are trying... Usually my doc and keep in touch every couple weeks. I will call and she calls me back that day and we discuss what's going on, and she usually will send my new Rx in that day, which is great because it seems like such a pain otherwise. I called before the holidays to make sure my doc would fill it before she left for vacation, (it wasn't early) and the nurse called me back and said "we just filled your norco on the 9th, so it isn't due until the 9th" (real condescending tone!), so I pointed out the dosage. It's just a pain to feel constantly questioned by everyone, when clearly my doc isn't concerned! Thanks! How are you doing now?
  • I was on that dose for 3 years and my liver is still talking to me.
  • your going to find all different opinions of this from patients and drs.
    now my dr wants me off. iv only been on them since august.
    he wants me in pain managment for a longer acting med.
    which i am doing.
    now mind you i don't care for this dr as he says they are addicting.. well really sherlock i never knew that L)
    but you want me on a stronger narcotic , cute.
    as long as you dont take over the daily amount perscribed you should be ok. also when being on a drug that long liver testing should be done every 3months to check the function and levels. alot of the hydrocodones come in 325 strentgh now of the tylenol. never go over 4000 grams of tylenol or motrin in a 24 hr period it can be toxic to your system and liver.
    i cetainly would not go in asking for a different med if you want that. as it raises a red flag for alot of drs.
    yes dilaudid is a awesome med that does not contain tylenol and so is oxycontin but very tuff to get out of alot of drs. even my pain managment guy won't give out dilaudid as its short acting. oxycontin is long acting. there are several tat do not contain the tylenol base.
    have you looked into pain managment?????
    also have they mentioned any type of nerve pain med for your leg???

so all in a nutshell its up to the patient and the dr.
    i wish you the best of luck!!!
    let us know how you make out and how things are going...
    terri O:) O:)
  • I am taking the 10/325 and I am happy with it, I just didn't know if they like to keep you on that for a long time. I am also taking Neurontin, but I haven't noticed much difference with it. I have looked for PM docs in my town, and I can't find any. The PM docs here do not prescribe meds at all, they just do injections and such, and I seem to have exhausted that avenue.
  • Hi, I'm sorry I took long to get back to you. I had my first surgery in Sept.2007 (L4-S1 herniation with nerve compression) but I have been on the Norco since that May. I was on Percocets initially when the pain was acute. I found they burn out in 2-3 hours and don't last as long as the Norco.
    How am I now? Well, I had a 2 level fusion on L4-S1 8 months ago (recurrent herniation, disc bulge causing nerve impingement, retrolisthesis, severe DDD, chronic degenerative endplate changes). My pain never improved with either surgery, and it is now chronic and I have nerve damage.

There is nothing wrong by asking for a refill a bit early especially around the holidays when they close for a few days. Sometimes they need reminders that patients don't want to run out and be stuck without meds. I hope you find another pain clinic or a GP who will serve as one. Take care
  • if my memory serves me correctly...I may be wrong, though, so don't quote me on that
  • Remember, everyone is different when it comes to liver clearing. 4 grams/ or 4ooo mg can effect different people in different ways!

If you are under a regular docs care, have a liver function test done every 4-5 months to be sure.

A person who drinks, should not take over 3000mg and never take the tylenol when drinking. They both tox your liver and can cause liver failure.
    Light colored stools can be a sign of liver failure.
    Jaundice can too.

• it is 4000mg. but all those hydrocodone and ocycodone meds are also formulated with ibuprofen, or asperin, instead of acetaminaphen, and some are available with just the narcotic compound alone. after a while you will become physically dependant on meds.
    addiction wich is different then dependant is rare and only occurs in 5-10% of patients.
    by definition addiction= loss of control over a substance even though you know it will do harm.
  • Hi there - I'm new here but have been reading posts this evening.
    Norco is safe unless you have too much Tylenol. It's correct that 4000 mgs/day is over the limit.
    I have to disagree with the last poster. Hydrocodone and oxycodone do NOT contain aspirin or ibuprofen.
    I'm allergic to both so I'm sure of it.
    Vicoprofen contains ibuprofen - like Vicodin.

As mentioned there are some meds that do not include any Tylenol. There's an Oxycodone (like Percocet) that doesn't.
    The actual name is Roxicodone.