Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Radiofrequency Neurotomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi...I was wondering if anyone has had the cervical radiofrequency nerotomy done. I have c3-c4 and c6-c7 herniation. Had the facets done and the epidural but no substantial relief. Now Dr. is suggesting the radiofrequency. Has anyone had it and had any relief from it?
Thanks in advance for any help.

• Hi cocoser,

WELCOME to Spine Health. I had a rhizotomy/denervation in March of 2008 in 4 areas of my cervical spine. It took 5 ESI's & 1 medial branch block to get to that point after 3 1/2 years of neck pain issues. The procedure did relieve me of 75- 80% of my pain. My lower shoulder blade remained in the same level of pain, but I was so happy about the rest. Everyone will have a different response- of course. The problem that I had was that it didn't last long enough for me. It only gave me 2-3 months of relief, and they won't repeat it. I have heard of people getting over 6 months of relief & getting it repeated. This is a great place to get more information, support, share ideas, and a little laughter mixed in helps. I hope that you get all that you need. There are many nice people here to help you.

Good Luck with your neck!!!
    Take Care & contact me if I can help you any further.

• thank you Jean. I appreciate your response. I guess I had the name of the procedure wrong, you were correct it is called the rhizotomy/denervation. I get confused :))) Nice to hear from you. Be well!
  • Prior to my 1st 2 level block my pain managment doctor did a radiofrequency. The procedure worked so well I had relief for 3 years before the nerve re-routed an I had to have the fusion.

As to the correct term, I have heard it called both. Everybody is different and while we can relate how thing went with us we can't promise how it will go with you.
    I hope all goes well
  • Thank you for your reply. It is very encouraging to hear that yours worked for 3 years. I know we are all different, but it still is encouraging. Take care and be well.
  • I had it done in both right and left cervical - but it has worn off, got @ 5-6 months, hoping myself that they can repeat it. It was not a fun experience, but neither is the pain. Everyone has dif responses. They tried it in my T345 - and got no relief.

Good luck, and you may find it is worth the try
  • I'm on a wait list at the Pain Clinic to get this procedure in my cervical area...about two inches below the back of my head around the "bump" area....I'm wondering how tough this procedure is. Can anyone tell me?