Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just curious!

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys! :H :H .

I swear that this has been boggling my mind :T . Why so far after seeing two different surgeons do they not understand why I have pain/numbness down both legs(worse on the left)all the way to my toes!?

Did ANY of you have this with the back pain? I am just VERY curious. It is also strange that I was told that I should have never had the IDET procedure done. I wonder if it made me worse :?

I am waiting on the referral to go see the ortho sergeon, I think that I may call, and see what is going on. It is so funny how someone can look at a mri, and say geesh, it doesn't look that bad!!!! :T :T :T :T

I hope that everyone had a great new year :)

• I was not familiar with the Idet process so I looked it up. Did you have a discogram before the IDET to confirm pain source and that IDET would help? It looks like that is a common practice.

A discogram can be a horrible test / akin to torture however if done with no sedation. I know because that is how my discogram was completed ... three levels (two damaged and one control) with no sedation and it was awful :''( ! It did however show us a tear in the L4 L5 space that was not visible on the MRI.

I wish you the best in finding the doctor who will listen and help you find the root cause of your pain ~X( . Then you can work together on a solution to help address.

Best of luck!

• Hello HeidiLynn,

My mind isn't functioning at this time of morning, so will respond later when it is.

Take care.

• Good Morning HeidiLynn,

First, may I ask if one of the two surgeon you have seen performed the IDET procedure on you?

Before you had the IDET procedure done, did the doctor perform tests to make sure you were a good condidate for the procedure?

HeidiLynn, I would highly recommend that you seek the advice of a 3rd and even a 4th spinal surgeon. Do your research and find the very best spinal surgeons you can who practice in your area. Then make appointments to see the ones at the top of your list.

What concerns me is that your two surgeons put their entire "faith" in their diagnosis (or lack thereof) in the MRI images. They didn't seem to listen to what you were saying as they should have in my opinion.

You know you have leg pain, and you know that something isn't right. Now you need to find a spinal surgeon who will LISTEN to YOU and who will go through the process of determining what is causing the numbness in your legs. Then the surgeon will be able to follow up with the proper treatment. Oh yes, may also be a good idea to see a neurosurgeon or two.

HeidiLynn, I have been to 8 spinal surgeons. You would not believe the difference in opinions that I have received, and ALL looked at the very same MRIs.

I have done a bit of reading regarding the IDET procedure and will send you a PM regarding what I have read.

Take care. I wish you the very best.

• I did have a discogram before the IDET. I swear, the IDET and discogram were the worse pain EVER :''( :''( :''( . I did reveal that the disk was causing my pain, I also had the severe pain go right down my legs, my back, ugh. It was horrible!!!!!

On another note, the last neuro I saw doesnt have a secutary anymore, just the nurse. I called and asked why I havent heard anything about the referral to the ortho. She said that she is learning the ropes. I guess I just have to wait and see when I can get in to see the ortho. ~X(
  • My L4-5 has a tear and I am having ADR 1-20 My left leg hurts all the time and my toes on my left foot are tingling all the time.My dr said if was from the disk leaking or something on my nerves which go down leg and foot. Lyrica is suppose to be very helpful has your doc mentioned LYRICA to you?
  • HeidiLynn - Prior to my surgery, I was told to consult with a neurosurgeon over that of an orthopedic surgeon for the type of pain I was experiencing and suspected location of the problem (and this advice was from a doctor). Hopefully you are in a location that provides several to choose from. Good luck.